Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Easter Hols for Helper

carang is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    New helper is not entitled to Statutory Holidays for the first 3 months.
    actually, this is incorrect. she IS able to get the holidays, they just don't have to be PAID holidays.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

We have given our helper all of the holidays off. So (unfortunately for us ;) ) she is off from today until Tuesday (inclusive). I always thought it was unfair for me to have those days off work and not her also.

carang is offline Registered User

i agree, we give one of our helpers all of the days off. the other one (her husband) was hired with the understanding that he would NEVER get those days off and that we would give him 1.5 days off per day missed in lieu of the holidays. (we REALLY need him during the holidays otherwise we'd give him the days off, too).

they are extremely happy with the arrangement.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

helpers get their "normal" day off + 1 day off (Ching Ming which is a statutory) and other holiday is up to the employer and not required by law. a "paid" holiday would be equivalent to $150 / day....can't remember how it's calculated by I"m quite sure that is the amount you pay if you want them to say on their statutory day off (unless of course they take another day off instead)...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

You cannot legally not give them the day off. It's against the law to not give them their statutory holidays. I know many do that but it's not legal. You can change their day off to another day if you want, but you can't NOT give them the day off, even if you want to pay them extra to work that day. A helper can voluntarily work if they want, but they can't be pressured, required or paid to work on their holidays.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

i think that was lesliefu is saying is that you can give your helpers the additional holidays unpaid if you both wish. that would mean deducting around $150 per "unpaid" holiday day from their normal monthly pay.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Oh ok, sorry for misunderstanding...

I've found that there's a lot of stuff that is wrongly stated about all the laws. Even the agency that we are going through to hire our helper has told us that we don't need to pay for our helper's medical check and for her transport from her home city to Manila - but the document I read that was provided by the government clearly states that those things (PLUS I think $100 per day for food allowance) are our responsibility. I think that sometimes people don't realise their legal rights and responsibilities in the helper/employer relationship and there's a lot of confusion about it all...

HappyV is offline Registered User

Friday April 2nd - Public Holiday
    Saturday April 3rd - Public Holiday
    Sunday April 4th - like any other Sunday
    Monday April 5th - Public Holiday
    Tuesday April 6th - Statutory Holiday.

Ching Ming is on Monday - usually this would make Monday a Stat Holiday, but because it is already a Public Holiday, the Stat Holiday gets passed over to Tuesday.

It's the annual thread on "How little time can I give my helper?" Can you imagine if your/your spouse's employer refused to pay you your salary for the stat holiday because you'd only been in the job for 2 months and 27 days?

It amazes me how people can work out how to log onto the relevant thread in this site, but not how to use Google and read the government page that gives you all the facts.

I understand that there are people in jobs who don't get the 'normal' holidays (and we are a family in this position) - but the Easter holidays are incredibly important to the Catholic helpers, and giving the holidays helps to set up a positive relationship with a helper. Just give it some thought.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast