Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UK Passport

Sazzy is offline Registered User

UK Passport

Hi - we are planning a trip to the UK when baby will be 6 weeks old. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a UK passport for the baby in that time?

Thanks

AmyH is offline Registered User

we went to the british consulate to fill in our daughters paperwork and we had the passport back in 5 working days from then.
    My husband arranged with them to pick it up from the consulate instead of them posting it to us.
    I would say that as long as you get her birth certificate within a month you will be fine.

One little word of warning though... I did not bother to get my daughter's visa sticker sorted before we planned a trip and when I got to immigration at the airport they were going to refuse to let her out of the country! I had to nearly beg them and they agreed and she re-entered on a tourist visa until I got it sorted when I came back.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I found the visa sticker to be the longest part of the process - although we're Australian. But they can rush the visa sticker for you if you tell them when your travel dates are. You can't apply for it until you have the passport though. We travelled when our daughter was 7-8 weeks old...

Michelle2009 is offline Registered User

My husband dropped off the forms and I collected the baby's new passport just over a week later. The consulate staff were ever so efficient.

I also didn't get the visa sticker before our first trip outside of HK (it was only to Macau) so my little girl had to come back into HK on a tourist visa too! The visa sticker took quite a few weeks to come through.

newbiekt is offline Registered User

We also got the passport really quickly and luckily my husband's company processed the baby's visa which was also fast. Someone also gave me a useful tip which is to also travel with a copy of the baby's HK certificate. They seem to like this at immigration (no idea why!)

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User

I never actually knew about the sticker thing!

We've been bringing our baby's birth certificate and it's been fine. The first time we travelled, I took the initiative to give it to them (we had no idea if we had to show it to them or not); the second time, they didn't ask for it; so the third time, we didn't bother bringing it and they asked for it! But, they just let him through anyway (not on visitor visa). It MAY be because I'm a permanent HKID card holder and they figured my child would have right of abode anyway...? No idea... But, anyway, my point is, I think if you don't manage to get the sticker done in time, you can show them the birth cert... ;P

carang is offline Registered User

the reason you did not need a visa sticker is because you are a PR. that doesn't work for anyone here on a work visa, though, as being born here does not entitle anyone to anything (unless parents are PR)

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User

ic.... But the immigration officer last time did say that I should either apply for the HKSAR passport or the sticker... which was the first I'd heard of it! =S

I'm actually not very clear on the eligibility criteria for the HKSAR passport either - whether he can have both British and HKSAR etc? If anyone can shed some light, that would be most appreciated! =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast