Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which hospital to choose??

lesliefu is offline Registered User

hi dalihk,

first of all congrats! ;) very exciting time! the only reservation about matilda is if you have a problem pregnancy...i'm not trying to jinx you...please don't get me wrong at all! but, if all goes well, matilda is great for the mother - the midwives are great! the rooms are excellent and the care is exceptional! unfortunately if something goes really wrong with the labour ( my daughter had meconium aspiration and was in ICU for 10days - delivery at Matilda, but transfered to QMH) then they do not have the sophisticated equipment as they do at QMH. it's just another thing to consider...nobody ever told me this when I asked about matilda (guess cases like mine are in the minority) but I think it is important to know when choosing your hospital. with my 2nd baby now, I'm delivering at QMH private section. i believe the cost is 48K..which I believe is comparable to other private hospitals...i'd go with the doctor you trust rather than the hospital, personally speaking, because i didn't have my own doctor there for my delivery (as i was early and my own doctor was on holiday) and instead had a substitute doctor...anyhow, it's just my experience! good luck with everything! :)

newbiekt is offline Registered User

I had my first baby at Matilda and will be returning there shortly for number two. It is certainly a nice experience and I was very pleased with my doctor and paediatrician. I would say though that I found the maternity ward was very busy and at times it was difficult to get attention from the staff. At the price which you pay to be there it was a bit disappointing. I have heard the same from a couple of other people as well. During the labour the midwife was excellent, it was more in the days afterwards where I sometimes felt that they didn't have time to help.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

I had a private room at Matilda first time around and the midwives and general service was great. Not sure if this was because I was a first timer or because I was in a private room. Second time around (in Jan this year) I was in a semi private room at Matilda (2 beds) definitely not the same experience as having a private room but our insurance this time around would not cover the cost of the private room. I did feel as if I did not get the same help second time around - maybe because I was a second timer and the staff felt like you knew what you were doing. Still, it was good and I was pleased I was there but it is different second time around, I was ready to get home to my toddler and get the newborn established in a routine. First time around, I didn't want to leave the hospital!!

newbiekt is offline Registered User

I should add that I was in a private room and I guess that was why I had high expectations!

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User

Hi DaliHK,

I delivered my baby in Matilda and had a good experience. It was a natural delivery with my husband present. The private room was nice, and the service was decent. I got lots of help with breast-feading afterwards as they're quite serious about it there. They let my newborn stay with me for as long as I wanted (they even "forced" my baby to stay with me one night coz he was crying and waking up other babies in the nursery).

I did visit the maternity wards before deciding so you should just call them and make an appointment. My OBGYN doesn't work in Matilda but there's no problem for him to book Matilda for me and later on delivered my baby there. Actually, many famous private OBGYNs in Hong Kong can deliver in most of the private hospitals so you should just confirm with your OBGYN ASAP.

Good luck!

mcdill is offline Registered User

Although overpriced, I think Matilda would fit the criteria you set out (natural delivery, my partner present, help with breast-feading and my newborn with me as much as possible).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12