Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potty training - help?

@dorable is offline Registered User

Potty training - help?

Help?
    Need any advice, tips, 'been there, done that', comments on how to go about this... pleaseeee :)

Thank you!

Neha is offline Banned

we used a small potty for him and used to take him every 30 minutes initially.

@dorable is offline Registered User

so try and sit him on it, get him used to it etc... thing is we have the toilet training seat and he will quite happily go if put on it, but when asked 'do u need to...?' he says no...

all the time...

Hes 2 1/2 now so would like him to be trained soon as he will b starting preschool , altho not rushing him AT ALL..

I've heard stories that some children potty train quickly when ready..

so finding it hard to know what to do :(

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Yes, my son is 10 months and in the recent two weeks, he is able to show sign when he needs to poo-poo. We've started to train him to sit on a potty since he's 7-8 months. Initially I put him on the potty once in the morning, once before lunch and once in the afternoon.. At first he refused to sit on it and just cried and struggled to get up so I tried to distract him by offering him something 'interesting' (e.g. a rattle, a book, a tramboline, rice crackers, bread... you name it) After a week, he stopped protest and was willing to sit there for awhile. Of course, sometimes he only had patience there for 1 minute then wanted to get up so I just pick him up and give him a big cuddle/****. Never 'force' him to sit longer than he wants to!

Less than a week I managed to predict his poo schedule, i.e. normally before lunch at around 11ish. So I sit him on his potty every 2-3 hours - just make it regular for him. Now, when he wants to poo, he just crawls to the potty and grabs it. He is yet able to give sign when he needs to wee... I'm not in a hurry, I think he's done well already~~

You may let your baby 'play' with the potty now and again (of course after thoroughly cleaning it!) in order to get him familiar with the thingy he is required to sit on.... I am planning to train him on a real toilet when he reaches 18 months....

Perhaps I am lucky but my experience with potty training on my son wasn't that difficult. Good Luck!

Last edited by OX Jess; 04-13-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

We did a combination of elimination communication and the Baby Signs Potty Training Program. My son was potty-trained for poo-poo by 11 months old. We were on a trip and he indicated that he needed to go and we asked him to "hold" until we got back to the hotel (5 minutes away) and he was able to do so. Pee-pee was a bit longer While he was dry by day very soon, but he was only totally potty trained (dry by night, too) only at 2 years and 3 months. My girl is also fully potty trained around the same time. She started indicated needing to go potty after watching the Baby Signs Potty DVD that came with the kit.

Also, what helped for us was that we used those soft potty seats that you put on top of the toilet instead of using the potty itself. They found the plastic too hard, I think.

carang is offline Registered User

her child is 2.5 years, i think she's moved well beyond signing and elimination communication...

first off: relax...
    1)some kids do it quickly and early
    2) some kids do it slowly and early
    3) some do it quickly and late
    4) some do it slowly and late

my son was #1. he pretty much trained himself before he was 2 (pee & poop). my daughter, on the other hand was a mix of #3 & #4... she wasn't all that interested in going to the toilet and we tried for almost a YEAR!!! finally, when she was ready she did it... she now goes on the big toilet, with no kid seat... she's just turned 3yr2m! so she's about 14 months behind where her brother was.

my son was night-trained by about 3.5yrs... dont' know when we will start with her at night time.

fennho is offline Registered User

How to start training for night time and when do we know she's ready for night time? My girl is trained during the day but she still wears a diaper during nap and night time sleep

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Fennho - If she has gone for a couple times with a dry nappy during the night, it's time to take the nappy off (and cross your fingers). That's when we have the reward chart out. One 'smiley face' for every dry night.
    You can make one yourself. Our kids would 'help' make the smiley face themselves and that was a quite a treat for them.

I can email our blank chart to you if you are interested.

Also, even with the nappy on, we made sure that they go pee before bedtime.

Good luck. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast