Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

WHO Growth Chart...

OX Jess is offline Registered User

WHO Growth Chart...

Hi Ladies,

I know I am stupid but I do need help to understand the WHO Child Growth Chart... http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...boys_p_6_2.pdf

My son weighed 8.8kgs at 6 months and he is now 9.5kgs (put less than 1kg in 4 months!!!!) I know baby's growing pace does slow down a lot after 6 months but I am not sure if his weight is on 'healthy scale' ?!? I am completely lost when I read the 3rd, 15th, 50th, 85th 97th percentiles... can anyone please explain it to me?!? Thanks a bunch.

Monty is offline Registered User

Hi Jess,
    First thing is first, from reading your post I am assuming that your boy is now 10 months old? If so, your boy has shown consistent growth in the last 4 months.
    What you are looking for in growth charts is a consistent upward curve in growth. If we use the numbers you provided (8.8kg at 6 months and 9.5kg at 10 months) then your boy is consistently ranked between the 50th and 85th percentile. What this means is that your boy is heavier than 50/85% of babies the same age and lighter than the other 15-50%. What doctors are looking for is that the pattern of growth is following the upward curve - and your boy is! When babies start falling off the bottom of the chart then the doctor needs to look into why. If a baby is falling off the chart then they are not gaining enough weight and their food/milk intake needs to be addressed (as well as looking at any other potential problems).
    Your boy is doing really well Jess! Growth does slow down in the middle of the first year.
    I also wanted to ask if you were exclusively breastfeeding? I'm not sure if you are aware but the new WHO charts were developed for breastfed infants as they tend to be smaller than formula fed infants. The growth charts from the CDC are based on formula fed infants. IF you are formula feeding, your boy would rank slightly higher on the WHO charts than the CDC charts.
    Hope this helps!

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Wow! Can't thank you more Monty. You really helped me understand the chart completely! I didn't have a clue.

Yes, my boy has just turned 10 months. So according to the chart my boy grows steadily and belongs to the average group, i.e. heavier than 50/85% of babies the same age. I am GLAD to know that. Over the past four months, it seems that he is much taller but not 'bigger/heavier', the clothes I've bought for him 4 months ago still fit him perfectly now. That's why it raises my concern regarding his weight gains...

I stopped BF him after the first two months and he's on formula since then. Since he's turned 9 months, I feed him 3solid meals and twice formula a day, with some afternoon snack (yohurt / bread / fruits / cheese) so I think he is eating pretty well.

sorchului is offline Registered User

My girl is around 15 months, weighing only 8.9kg and 75cm tall. I looked at the growth chart and seems she is on the small side. My pediatrician thinks it's fine but I hope she will gain a bit more weight and grow taller. Understood that the growth slows down after 1 year old, but is there anything I can do? She is currently taking formula 2 times per day (7oz each time) and 3 solids.

Appreciate your feedback.

Sazzy is offline Registered User

Hey All - dont worry about the charts. Is your child eating and happy? If so, dont worry :)

Monty is offline Registered User

You are very welcome Jess. You sound like you are doing a great job with your little boy.

Sorchului - I think it is useful to look at the weight for length chart. Here is the link: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...irls_p_0_2.pdf
    The weight for length chart is useful because it shows that for your girl's height she is an average weight. If you only look at the weight charts then she is a little smaller than other girls her age but only by a couple of months. As long as she is growing consistently, is happy and eating well (and the pediatrician is happy) then your girl is doing well.

Sazzy - sometimes we just need a little reassurance that our babies are doing well :)

sorchului is offline Registered User

Monty: Thanks so much for the info. It really helps. My little girl is happy and eating well, so I should not worry too much.