Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yogurt maker

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiebiscuit View Post
    We bought the EasiYo yogurt maker at City Super and really like it. It's simple to use and the yogurt is yummy. There are many different flavors to choose from. Here is their Hong Kong website: EASIYO HK

I'd highly recommend it and it is a money saver in the long run.
    Hi,

I actually checked easiyo today, price for the maker is okay, but my concern is where to get the flavors/yogurt esp if i'm not in hk anymore. Can i use whatever milk?

freddiebiscuit is offline Registered User

I just googled EasiYo and Canada (where I come from) and see they have an online shop in North America (Delicious Yogurt Made Easy). I didn't check into it any further, though.

You have a good point about availability outside of HK - I never thought about that, as I think we'll be in HK for a while longer...

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal88 View Post
    Hi,

I actually checked easiyo today, price for the maker is okay, but my concern is where to get the flavors/yogurt esp if i'm not in hk anymore. Can i use whatever milk?
    Actually making yogurt is very easy, and what really a yogurt maker does, is to keep the temperature warm, so that the lactobacillus would reproduce, turning the milk into yogurt.

You can do the same with milk. Just boil the milk, so that undesired bacteria would be killed. Let it cool down a little bit, till it is warm, and add some tablespoon of regular yogurt in it (make sure the milk is warm, and not hot.. you don't want to kill the bacteria from the yogurt). Let it rest in your yogurt maker, and in few hours, it should be done.

I tried that long long time ago... as I didn't have a yogurt maker, I just let the milk rest in a warm location (like inside the oven, or on top of the fridge)

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Making yoghurt

I make yoghurt w/ powdered milk - much cheaper than using UHT or "fresh"

I'll fill up the Easi-yo 1 liter plastic container w/ ~ 750 mls of warm water.

Pour that into a bowl.
    Put in ~ 2 cups of powdered milk & stir or whisk vigorously.

Take between 1/4 and 1/2 cup starter (can be previous batch's) & put in a small bowl.

Take some of the re-constituted milk and add to started and stir, to make runny. This helps the starter disperse evenly.

Add it all back into the big bowl. Stir or whisk vigorously.

Fill the thermal container w/ boiling water up to the start of the red thingy (the hot water should not actually touch the 1 liter plastic jar).

Wait 6-12 hours, less time in high summer.

Make sure that the powdered milk is plain powdered milk, not any type of "formula". Otherwise you will get strange results.

Good luck!

freddiebiscuit is offline Registered User

I would really like to try making yogurt this way! Can the starter be any kind of plain yogurt or is it something special that needs to be purchased? What kind of powdered milk do you use and where do you buy it?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

The starter can be any kind of plain yogurt or, as loupou said, from your previous batch.

This sounds like a good idea. I never tried using powdered milk... I guess it would be much more cheaper, and the resulted yogurt would be thicker than when done using fresh milk.

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Hi Loupou,

thanks for your tip.

You mean you bought an easiyo thermos but never buys their powdered yogurt? i'm thinking if i can do that.

I really need to buy a maker or thermos for yogurt as i don't know where to put it.

thanks!

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Hi all,

Any yoghurt w/ active bacteria can be used as a starter.

If I've no yoghurt of my own (s.o. ate it up w/out leaving enough for starter) or if my own is getting a little bit too sharp (it sometimes gets that way after several generations) I buy a carton of the Dairy Farm plain yoghurt. I buy the "youngest" I can (w/ the expiry date furthest in the future).

As for powdered milk, I get what's cheap and available. I've used Nestle powdered, I've used Klim, I've used Anchor. The most important thing is to...

1) Make sure it's milk only

2) Make sure the water you mix it up w/ is not too hot (can kill the bacteria, or make an inhospitable environment).

3) Note what you do - dif milks sometimes make thinner or thicker youghurt, so if you switch from one type to another because of cost of availability, you may notice you want to add or subtract.

4) The proportions I gave above make quite a thick yoghurt. If you want a thinner yoghurt, then you'd need to use a bit less.

Gataloca - yes exactly. If you make it w/ powdered milk you can make it thicker and it's cheaper than w/ "fresh" milk.

Crystal88
    - Very rarely do I buy the Easiyo packets. I don't find them good value for money & the flavored ones have quite a bit of sugar.

I have bought them in the past when they were on sale and I wanted to give them a try.

We keep the thermos part of the Easiyo under our kitchen sink when we're not using it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast