Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

travelling in a taxi with a newborn

monte is offline Registered User

Oh, this is a dilemma I'm worried about too. I agree that slings/carriers are just unsafe--that's what we've used with our older son and I just tried to avoid taxis when possible because it's not safe. (I now use them a bit more, as he's big enough to sit up with the regular seat belt, though I know it's still unsafe.) It meant using buses and mtr almost exclusively, which is less convenient (though admittedly better ecologically speaking!) But I don't know what we'll do when our second arrives ... The problem is that a bucket seat is just heavy and awkward to carry, and the strollers they connect to are consequently heavy and awkward, and everywhere we go we face stairs. So it doesn't seem practical to think that I could deal with one of those strollers and a toddler. So I guess it's back to busses and mtr for us!

canadianinhk is offline Registered User

I have the Peg Perego Aria which is a very light stroller and has a car seat you can attach. The stroller and seat were very easy to use and convenient. My problem was I could never seem to get a taxi with seat belts long enough to fit around the seat. I wonder if it is the seat dimensions in relation to HK? Had no problem with it when I was home...

Tini is offline Registered User

Definitely get a car seat!!! I can only recommend Maxi Cosy. They got all sorts of test certificates for making one of the safest car seats for infants. Don't take you child into the car in a sling or just hold it in your arms. I am shocked seeing so many kiddies here in HK not sitting in proper safety car seats but rather on the mother's or maid's lap. In case of a serious car accident your child is going to fly through the wind shield! I would NOT drive without a proper protection for my child on HK roads or not drive at all. Car seats don't cost the world. Check out mothercare; they sell them there at a decent price. Eugenes Club is way overpriced, I thought. So please, try not to save the money but rather save your child's health or life.

Flack is offline Registered User

Tini

I would guess that the reason that most children are not property restrained in taxis are because you then have to carry the car seat with you when you get to your destination which is not always practical or possible if you are on your own. Once your baby outgrows the Maxi Cosi that attaches to the Quinny or Bugaboo (6-9 months) and moves into a stroller, unless you use the sit'n'stroll you are pretty well stuck for options.
    I generally try to avoid taxis for that reason now that my baby no longer can fit in the maxi cosi, but on occasion I do need one.
    Of course, in your private car there should be no reason to not have your baby/child restrained.

Tini is offline Registered User

I think it is especially crucial for a newborn baby to sit in a car seat. Like some suggested to get a Maxi Cosi stroller with integrated car seat. But, yes, I guess if your child has outgrown the Maxi Cosi that makes it more difficult and of course you don't want to run around with a car seat. (Didn't think of that one) Is using the MTR or bus not an option?

Flack is offline Registered User

Tini,

Sure, the bus and MTR is an option and actually I use it far more than taxis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12