Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toddler swearing - Pls help!

sswli is offline Registered User

Toddler swearing - Pls help!

My 2yo boy has recently picked up some new "bad words" and is now in the habit of saying them at completely inappropriate moments eg. when greeting someone, during class etc etc.

Situation is getting quite serious now, and he will say it when he wakes up, gets angry and whenever he wants attention. Perhaps its a bit our fault as the whole family would react or cover his mouth..

Have tried ignoring him, but he will keep repeating louder and louder until someone gives him attention. What to do?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

We tell our child that it's not nice to say it. And he understands. But if he does use a word inappropriately, we tell him he should apologize. Coz even as adults we slip one in every so often in his presence. We don't make a big deal about the use but a big deal about apologizing.

So, if dad said, "Stupid driver!"... my hubby gets pretty agro by HK drivers!... He now points out that dad's used a bad/rude word, "Mummy, Daddy used a bad word!" and dad would apologize by saying, "Oh... H... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have used that word." And if it's my son who uses it, we'd point it out too and he'd apologize in the same manner.

So far so good.

carang is offline Registered User

yep, for us, even words like stupid and hate are not allowed when used for people...

definitely make the child apologise.

maybe instead of ignoring the child completely, just say "that's not a nice word. until you say sorry i'm not going to answer you."???

jane01 is offline Registered User

If the parents don't say these words, the child won't even know them. Not judging you, just stating the obvious. My neice (3) also swears but not much her parents can do whilst they continue to swear.

Well, Jane01, if the parents are the only people the child has contact with, it would obviously be an easy solution.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

i watched super nanny some time back and she corrects the behaviour by
    1. making the child say sorry
    2. explaining it's not nice
    3. make a rule no bad words at home. applies to everyone (it starts from home)
    4. time out if there's a meltdown

what's interesting is, (if i remember correctly) she points out that the parents has to make an effort to spend quality time with the kid on a daily basis. that if the kid is acting up to get attention, it's because he needs attention. so it's things like reading a book, or playing a sport on weekend, or craft work etc. with affirmation and praise on good behaviour. that's tv...

but we've used the spending more time with our 2year old and affirmation on good behaviour. it does cut down on unwanted behaviour.

Last edited by pixelelf; 04-22-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

my 2 yo nephew picked up rude words after he started going to a playgroup and at those times when he surprised us with these words, we (mainly i) would throw a shocked face like and tell him that we wouldn't like to hear these words from him and ask him to apologise. he needed a bit of coaxing but he did get into the habit of saying "sorry" whenever he blurted it out by mistake or in anger. he doesn't swear anymore...for now!

thanks for the advice, will definitely try.

Problem is, whenever my son is being disciplined he will start staring into space and pretend he doesnt hear anything. Will take us at least half hour to make him say one "sorry" next thing you know he's got his cheeky grin and saying the "bad words" over and over....

anyway, lets see how it goes....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast