Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HK beaches

capital is offline Banned

HK beaches

Would you take your children swimming to the beach in Hk or is it too polluted? I am thinking of the beach near the gold coast. Or any other beaches to suggest that are about 30-45 minutes from Tsuen Wan at the most?

southside852 is offline Registered User

Personally, we never let our our son go into the water in HK. He played on the sand and that was about it. This is a personally decision as we had heard of other ex-pats going in and getting eye infections etc....We just rather stay on the safe side rather than risk it.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

The Gold Coast beach is horrid to swim in (by our standards if you think of what is around the GC) - though locals swim in it everyday. We head to Shek-O or Big Wave Bay which is cleaner. Lamma Island is another option too.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I agree, the water at the Gold Coast beaches looks a little yucky. However, I would still let my chld wade on the beach, like to his knees or so, just to get a feel for the water, since he`s never been in the ocean yet.

LeahH is offline Registered User

We let our kids swim at southside beaches and Shek-o. Personally I dont go in - but I am phobic of water that doesnt look completely clear!

No ill effects so far. Friends have had some skin issues but are people who sail or row and are in the water constantly.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

my husband and i used to go wakeboarding on the southside every weekend. i was in the water more often than on the board and the water wasn't that bad.

the kids have always played in the water at south bay, big wave bay and shek o with no obvious problems (and one of them has particularly sensitive skin so i was expecting a rash or something...but all fine). I try to get them to keep their heads out of the water but im not always successful

loupou is offline Baby Guru

I've been letting my kids play at the beach in Hong Kong since they were toddlers.

We mainly go to Clear Water Bay Second Beach, once or twice been to Shek O.

If you want to check the Govt. readings of water quality at the beaches, you can go here.

EPD - Beach Water Quality

Scroll to top