Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

When should I stop??

Sazzy is offline Registered User

When should I stop??

So, I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and I have a 25 month old. I take my daughter to the park and gyms and I am constantly picking her up, supporting her whilst she climbs, helping her on ladders etc etc.

When should I stop doing this? I was so careful when I was pregnant the first time around but this time its difficult to say "mummy cant help you".

Just wondered what everyone else did.
    Thanks

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and this week I carried my 18 months old from the library in Causeway Bay through Victoria Park, then past Sogo because she was refusing to walk and I forgot the stroller (silly me!!). I think the only time it really matters is if you're having preterm contractions or have some other need to be on bedrest. I know I should be more careful and I should have remembered the stroller that day, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do - and women for centuries have been doing much more than that while pregnant, the only thing you're gonna hurt is your own back. So I think - yes don't be dumb about it... but ultimately we're pregnant, not invalids. And carrying around an extra 12kg or 15kg or whatever for a while isn't going to hurt.

mosmom is offline Registered User

Agree on the above. I carried my under-2-year-old whenever she needed it and whenever I was physically able to while I was pregnant for my second. I remember giving her a bath, then lifting her out of the tub, etc. the night before I gave birth My body would tell me when I should stop certain activities: I used to get a hard tummy, which meant I needed to rest.

Thats great - thanks guys. I will keep going and wait for my body to tell me to stop :)

aussie mum is offline Registered User

I continue to carry my boys and I'm 33 weeks. I remember reaching about 35 weeks last time and getting severe pelvic pain. That's when the lifting and horsing around had to stop

I am happy to continue to carry her - im worried about the times when i lift her and support her when she is on the monkey bars or climbing ladders on playgrounds.
    This will sound silly but my mum says that I shouldnt stretch and put my arms over my head as this will make the umbilical cord go around the baby's neck!!

But just to reconfirm - i can not harm the baby, the only problem may be back pain for me?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

I had the same question as Sazzy! I'm only almost 17 weeks along and my son is only 13 months old, so I don't have any problems with lifting him - but my husband always tells me to carry him less.

What about using carriers like the Ergo? Would that be ok?

aussie mum is offline Registered User

There is something about not lifting above your head. My pilates teacher mentioned it..... Can't recall the details tho!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast