Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

unsalted butter and yelling husband

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Solidstars - I thought your husband is Canadian, no? He sounds really anal - I haven't heard too many fathers talking like him.
    UN-salted butter is fine. I use it all the time, in fact. Any full-fat dairy is good for the baby until 2 years. I'm still trying to find full fat yogurt - everything here is 99.9 fat free! I would stay away from salted butter though. Added salt is hard on their little systems, especially as their menus are widening and are being naturally exposed to more and more sodium.
    Sashimi - I side with your husband, but I read that anything uncooked poses a possible problem to the unborn baby, so I just stayed away from raw anything, as well as smoked anything, and a bunch of other yummy stuff when I was pregnant. But for sure Japanese women are eating sushi and as you would know, Thais are not staying away from peanuts, but westerners are told not to eat them because of the high allergy level.
    Frozen veg - LOVE it. I always give my son frozen stuff, like peas and whatever. In fact, I will even buy stuff and then freeze it so I can use it later and it will still be fresh. It's the next best thing to fresh veg and is very close to it, actually.
    Tell your husband to prepare your baby's menu and meals and then there should be no problem:)

fennho is offline Registered User

I love my PD becos he was the one who told me "dont view all salt and msg as evil becos it makes the food tasty AND the baby will eat them!" Perhaps u need to change your PD to mine and THEN bring ur hubby over to his clinic to hear it from a medical professional that a little bit of something WONT kill his son. Maybe he'll be more reassured? He sounds paranoid probably due to hearsays from friends or relatives. And if it helps, we're a chinese family too and i ALWAYS put unsalted butter when i make omelette for my baby since she's 14mths, she's now 28months and VERY healthy (no poisoning there!) and hardly ever get sick too, so maybe ur hubby can feel "safer"? Good luck !

pixelelf is offline Registered User

you have my sympathies. but i will try to see it as he cares alot for your child and that's why he's over reacting. if all the research does not work, you can go to a baby wellness clinic to speak to a healthcare consultant together. my pd provides this service every monday morning. it's really good, at least he can hear it from a professional.

my child is a very poor eater and small built and this service has helped me alot in terms of educating how to wean off breast, sleep issues, exercise and diet for the child as a whole. i can pm you the name if you like :) today, at 27 months, he is still small built, eating alot better, trying new food, happy and healthy.

solidstars is offline Registered User

hahah thanks, if i change my doctor to yours my husband will probably come up with another excuse on how your doctor is pro-westerner or something...

my husband is canadian-chinese...i think his mindset is more chinese than canadian. problem is i've got a more 'international' mindset so we don't get along with our different views on how to take care of baby...

my 1 year 2 months old baby is 11.5 kg (we just weight him this morning at the clinic), so weight/height wise he's super strong. He's got thrush actually, and my husband was trying to blame it on the stuff I gave him to eat, but the doctor said it's not, so finally he shuts up about all the 'it's your fault'...

By the way, apparently thrush cases are on the rise with infants, so everyone be careful with babies and fingers in mouth!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

How do you think he got thrush? Is it from breastfeeding - in which case, would you have it too?

solidstars is offline Registered User

no, the doctor said that it's from the environment, you can't really 'prevent' it. also recently there's been more cases cuz of the dampness/mold in the air... or something like that.

i asked if i needed to put his medicine on me too to prevent the thrush from going back and forth (recommended online) but he said i just need to occasional use alcoholic swabs on myself...which sounded like REALLY BAD ADVICE so i am planning on ignoring that and following the online advice instead.

capital is offline Banned

Babies grow the same way, and food has the same nutiritonal value regardelss of the race of the baby. What a crazy thing to think, let alone say, that race has anything to do with it!

The nutritionist at the health center I work at say that frozen veggies and fruits are often more nutritous than fresh food you buy, becuase it is frozen right after picking and then retains minerals/vitamins, whereas by the time you eat fresh veggies that sat in the market, then in your fridge, they have lost a lot of the nutrition. Unless your mother in law is growing a garden and you are eating truely fresh picked produce, she hasn't a leg to stand on.

Your baby = your say, your mother in law doesn't get a voice in what your baby eats.

Congee isn't all that great anyway, sure it is fine sometimes, but it shouldn't be the main food a 1 year old eats. They need far more texture and fibre. They should eat the same foods as an adult in smaller amounts.

The butter comments, ridiculous. Butter is milk fat, fat is what your brain is made out of. I supppose your mother in law would prefer your child drink some of that canned formula powder marketed for toddlers, it seems to be popluar among locals. The fat in that is milk fat, same as the butter. If she is so concerned about freshness does it not make sense to eat actual milk products like breast milk, cows milk, yoghurt cheese and butter, instead of a highly processed canned formula?

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Oh no thrush! I've heard about it but what are the symptoms of thrush?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast