Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby room move

matemate is offline Registered User

Baby room move

One question from someone with no experience but expecting a baby boy in September:

We have currently a guest room that will be turned into a kids room soon. In that guest room we have a sofa bed which served as the bed when our parents visited so far.

We would like to keep the sofa there for when our parents visit, however when the sofa is extended into a bed, there would be no more space for the crib (assuming a 70cm wide crib).

Can the baby boy be moved (in his crib) from one room to another (say study room next door with same decor), or we can't use the sofa as a bed anymore? Any guidance as to how this could be handled would be appreciated.

Thanks

hbw10 is offline Registered User

i think it's fine to leave it in the baby's room and then move the baby out when guests come to visit. i would not get rid of the pull out couch unless u want to move it to the living room so inlaws, parents can sleep out there.

miao is offline Registered User

One thing to note, though, is to check whether the doors of the relevant rooms are wide enough for the crib to go through. When I was pregant I also was wonderng whether I would be able to move the crib around the apartment, and when I tried it out it turned out that the crib cannot be moved out of the baby room (without being folded up); although the door was wider than the crib, the crib still cannot go through the door completely due to the narrow corridor outside the room which cause the crib to get stuck half way through the door.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

You can get a crib that has wheels, so moving it out (assuming the doorways are big enough for easy moving) shouldn't be a problem. However, I would consider that sometimes moving babies to different rooms could cause sleep disruptions cause they are not used to the different room. It really depends on the baby I think, but is one factor you should consider. Why don't you move the pull out couch to the study and your parents/in-laws can stay there when they come?

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Agree it depends on the baby - we had a moses basket on a stand for the first three months or so which we moved into the living room for naps and into our bedroom at night.

When he grew out of that we had his cot in our bedroom and now he is 8 months he has a cot in his own room but when we travel he usually goes back to a travel cot in our room.

He couldn't care less about being moved around like this but I know that some babies really do. If it's an option financially why not get a moses basket or basinette that you can move around easily and then when you get to know him you can decide on the room layout.

matemate is offline Registered User

thanks a lot for the pointers! very helpful. i haven't thought about the corridor yet, so will check this out right away.

carang is offline Registered User

we have always moved both of our kids to suit our circumstances. we've never had any problems at all... it's seemed to me that it was the BED that the kids were attached to and NOT the room...but even so, have never had problems switching their beds (so long as they each have their "little blanket" everything runs smoothly!)