Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheapest way to go to go Private?

BabyG is offline Registered User

Cheapest way to go to go Private?

Hi ladies! Does anyone know which hospitals and obs packages are the most cost effective? We don't have maternity cover and I have been having so much anxiety over possibly delivering at QE hospital. I would like my husband to be with me more than visiting hours (6-8 pm) and I know that I won't be able to get the much needed rest after delivery with so many other people around with babies crying. I am terrified after a few experiences during the check-ups I've had at QE. Any info would be greatly appreciated

lesliefu is offline Registered User

you could look into the different types of rooms - i know that doctors charge according to room type - so instead of staying in a single, you might consider a double room / some hospitals like HK Sanatorium have rooms with 6 beds in them (still considered private)...honestly haven't visited the rooms myself, but the information is on the websites so you can browse them before scheduling a tour of the facilities.

good luck! :)

Thanks leslie it seems that Sanatorium and St.Pauls are the cheapest on HK side when it comes to packages. I understand that doctor and anesthetist fees are charged on top of that. Can anyone share how much those cost you? I am due on September 1st so I am loosing time and might not get a place.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

Hi Baby G - Sanatorium is as expensive as anywhere else but yes there wards (6 bed) might be more reasonable. St Pauls's is reasonable though.

baffelly is offline Registered User

You have to find a doctor first. The doctor will tell you the fees and help you book into a hospital he delivers at.

LOJITT is offline Registered User

If you're "working backwards" from the hospital, the easiest way is to call the maternity dept at that hospital and ask them which Obs deliver there. As you're a late booking (by HK standards) try to find one that delivers there a lot as it seems they have more success in getting their patients booked in.

A private Obs charges for every antenatal appointment and then to attend the delivery. Some do fixed cost "packages" for patients staying in shared rooms.

You will probably also have to pay a paediatrician to check the baby once it's born- check if that's included.

I think you only have to pay the anaethetist if you need him/her- it's not a retainer.

Thank you everyone. I've been to 2 public checkups and all the rest have been private doctors. I've seen Dr. Ghosh, Dr, Ho and Dr. Hon. I was just wondering if anyone could share a more cost effective way. Is it impossible for me to budget around $40,000 for a private delivery? I actually feel very guilty to spend so much money on private but at the same time I am petrified of being "alone" at the hospital. This is my second and I had a previous C section at a private hospital in Malaysia and got excellent care. I am not bothered about how many people are in the ward, I just want to know the person delivering my baby and have a nurse that would show some care towards me and of course have my hubby there with me. The nurse at QEH told me that if they were busy, my husband would not be admitted for the delivery.

mcdill is offline Registered User

You can also take a look at Canossa Hospital charges on their website - the cost is probably between St Paul's and Sanatorium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast