Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Toddler down with cold every month this year

carang is offline Registered User

i have never, ever, ever heard that medicine causes dental problems....i highly suspect that it does NOT.

perhaps, there was tooth decay because of not brushing the teeth properly or something lacking in the diet. i would think THAT would be more likely the cause.

as for kids getting sick... yep, happens a lot when they are little, it's how they build up their immunity.

i'm lucky, this past winter, my kids have only been sick a couple of times (although my son was VERY sick for quite a while. he only went to school for 2 days in all of march!... 3 sets of antibiotics before he was better!)

i, on the other hand, have suffered from bronchitis 4 times in the past 6 months. (i've got it now, AGAIN!)

reei is offline Registered User

yes, i have also heard that medicine causes dental problems. in my nephew's case, not teeth decay but little black thing sticking on teeth and according to his dentist, is caused by too much medicine.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Medicine could cause tooth decay if used excessively. It is very high in sugar so it's probably a good idea to a) give a drink of water afterwards to rinse the mouth, b) don't give the medicine right before bed (same thing for other sugary drinks), and c) brush teeth AFTER giving medicine.

If you just give medicine once every couple of months it's not going to be a big deal - but I'm pretty sure if a kid was having medicine daily, it would probably start to cause problems (and likely other problems too, not just dental problems!)

Probiotics and vitamins never hurt anyone, I don't think. As well as a healthy diet and getting enough sleep. It's easier to get sick when your immune system is run down - so help them to look after their little bodies and you'll be preventing a whole range of sicknesses :) But I also think that some kids are more prone to getting sick than others too...

RSK
    RSK is offline Registered User

Can we get probiotics at watsons/mannings ? What is the brand name?

geomum is offline Registered User

Nope never seen them at Watson's/ Mannings. I buy from a health shop on Lyndhurst Terrace, sorry can't remember the name, its next to Cafe Siam. The brand I use is Udo's choice.

Last edited by geomum; 05-19-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Addition

geomum is offline Registered User

Most people in HK don't drink milk or eat cheese/ yogurt, lack of calcium in diet can be a major cause of tooth decay. Accompanied by poor dental hygeine of course.

plumtree is offline Registered User

I've seen infant probiotics in 360 (Landmark) in the section at the back where they stock vitamins and such products.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Antibiotics can also cause dental problems, mainly yellow teeth.
    As for the colds... it seems there is a bug going on right now, as many kids (including mine) are sick around us. I don't do much, apart from giving him some Panadol when he has got fever, clean his hands, clean his nose and we just stay home making sure he's got a good sleep. Good luck !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast