Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Krabi or Koh Samui?

hkiegal is offline Registered User

Krabi or Koh Samui?

I am planning for a "just girls" holiday, totally relaxing, pampering and just friends get together for a 4D3N, budget not really an issue, but has to be money worth spent.
    Does anyone has any recommendations? Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks for your input!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Krabi on the Andaman Sea side has the best water around the Christmas period (at the end of the year) while Koh Samui which is on the other side has the best water around middle of the year.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

My trip will mostly take place in autumn. Thanks for your input TheQuasimother.
    Does anyone has any resort recommendations? Places you have stayed before or have heard good feedback from friends, or even have always wanted to stay but can't afford it?! ;-P

I am treating my best buddy for this trip as she is scheduled to have a breast surgery in July. I want her to use this holiday to relax and to recover from her operation, relaxed and pampering during the day, nice dinner out at night.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I haven't been to Samui but have been to Krabi. Can't say I was super impressed. It was really obnoxiously touristy and if you go outside of that(like we did), then it's a bit boring and quiet:) I also didn't find the water that clear and blue. Koh Pi Pi is meant to be one of the most beautiful beach islands - it's about a 45 min boat ride from Krabi, I think. They would have lots of upscale places, I'm sure.
    Koh Samui is very established and would have many many resorts of all kinds. I think it would depend on the weather. What part of fall will you go? Rainy season for the Andaman side is until about Oct, and then I guess from about the same time the other side will start to get it.

Mid-end of September is what I have in mind for now, it's low season and away from the school holiday crowd.
    I think weather would not be much of an issue, as we won't do a lot of sightseeing, but most likely stay in villa and relax, private pool villa is what I am considering too.
    Any recommendations? :)

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

i stayed at this place Welcome to the Baan Taling Ngam Resort and Spa web site but it was about 10 years ago! However setting and place itself is beautiful with Thai style architecture. Stayed in a normal room which was very spacious with a big balcony, but they also have various sized villas which might suit you very well. They also have a spa. Back then there wasn't much near by but there were 3 restaurants at the hotel, including one on the beach. They also had a shuttle bus if you want to go into Chaweng or Lamai. There are also several pools and you can do a boat trip from the hotel out to the marine park with a picnic BBQ on a deserted beach, which is a very relaxing form of sightseeing with little walking etc.

We went low season and got a really good deal, something like 8 nights for price of 4 which meant it wasn't even that pricey.

Should mention it is on the side of a hill so quite steep down to the beach etc, however they do have golf carts to transport you around the place which is good if your friend is recovering.

Like i said it, it was a long time ago but checking out the website it still looks as good!