Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Travel at 32-34 weeks

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Travel at 32-34 weeks

I'm thinking of heading to see family in Europe when I'm 32-34 weeks pregnant. I would like to know if anyone has done any traveling during this time i.e. for work or fun? I know that major airlines will let me fly til I'm 36 weeks pregnant as long as I have a doctor's certificate.

Any thoughts or experiences flying this late in the third trimester?

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Hi

I did not fly after 30 weeks for both pregnancies but make sure you check it is ok to be that pregnant for the destination you are going to. When I was 28 weeks and had a letter going to the Philippines, I was told by Cathay staff that Singapore immigration would not let you in if you were 28 weeks or later because of the risk you have the baby there. This was a surprise to me. Agree about airlines not letting you fly after 36 weeks.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

I went to Fiji for a wedding when i was 34 weeks pregnant with my second child. flew back just before 36 weeks.
    i was a bit nervous about going into labour in Fiji but felt fine and REALLY didn't want to miss the wedding.

LeahH is offline Registered User

I flew a lot in my first pregnancy up until 34/35 weeks at which point my insurance grounded me.

Most policies do not cover birth related costs after a certain point (not great if you deliver somewhere expensive).

Some airlines need you to see their own doctor actually in the airport (philippine air is one from memory) before letting you board (thats even with a letter from your own doctor)

All in all, not rea

BabyG is offline Registered User

If your doctor gives you the OK, I think its fine. Just make sure that you have a contact number of a local Obstetrician just in case. Also make sure you keep yourself well hydrated on the flight and walk around a lot. The flight to Europe is quite long so I would check with your doctor first and see what he thinks.

I am flying to Manila with my helper and toddler for 2 weeks next Thursday and will be on my 28th week. I am a little anxious but my doctor said it's fine because I have an uncomplicated pregnancy.

tstmum is offline Registered User

Check the airline's policy carefully as to how long a doctors letter is valid, eg, it might only be for 1 or 2 weeks - even if you receive a letter from your doctor in HK before you go, it might have "expired" for your return journey so you might need to see another doctor in Europe before you fly back.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies!

We're actually planning to break up the inbound flight by staying in London - I'll be 32 weeks. Then head to Munich. I have the right to land and birth in Munich. Then hopefully, it won't be a drama to head back to Hong Kong at 34 weeks from Munich given that I have the right to land in both Munich and Hong Kong - if it's immigration that's a hassle.

It's just that my flight entitlements for the end of contract may be lost if we don't head back this summer and I don't want to waste another summer missing out on seeing family and friends in both London and Munich.

My insurance will cover me all over the world except the Americas so I don't think it'll be a major drama if there is an emergency. Plus, I can't imagine giving birth anywhere else being as expensive as Hong Kong!

**BabyG - I hope all is well. Have not seen you since dinner at TST!

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Flack is offline Registered User

Quasimother,
    Just check the airlines policy. I got caught out at 32 weeks as my letter from the OB/GYN was dated more than 7 days prior. It was dated less than 7 days before I left HK, but after the trip was obviously more than 7 days. It never occured to me that I would need a different letter to fly back to HK. In the end after a bit of arguing I was let on the flight. It was only a three hour flight, but they still weren't keen about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast