Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dogs & babies & helpers

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Dogs & babies & helpers

Hi, is it too much to ask one helper to take care of both my 3 dogs and a newborn baby while I am at work? I have a helper for my dogs now but she isn't working out so we need to replace her. I just assumed that in my interviews I would choose someone that was good with dogs and could look after an infant. However I haven't had a very good response from helpers that I have interviewed and I am wondering whether it is because they think it is too much work - one of them alluded to this. Then I started wondering how in fact the helper would be able to do both as she cannot leave the baby alone while she walked the dogs, they are quite raucous so I wouldn't want her to take the baby along with all three of them, and it would be too much for her to have to walk them all separately. Should I get two helpers? What do other people do?

Then, of course, I start thinking that I am losing touch with reality having lived in Asia for so long and remember that people in the West have to raise their children, and their dogs, and work full time and look after the house all at the same time.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Liquorice

We fostered a dog (a huge Lab) for 3 months and had a 3 year old (last year).
    She could:
    - 8 - 11 a.m.: Household chores including laundry (No one is at home)
    - 11 - 11:30: Walk the dog
    - 11:30: Shower & Reheat leftovers for my son's lunch
    - 11:55: Pick my son up from the lobby (when the school bus comes round)

Once my son was at home, the dog slept or my son entertained the dog (it was very docile) while she tidied up his lunch.

- 4:00: Take my son to the play room
    - 5:00: Return from the play room
    - 5:30: I'm home so she starts preparing dinner. Hubby is home too so he walks the dog with my son.
    - 6:30: We have dinner.
    - 7:00: She clears up.
    - 8:00: End of her day.

I think with an infant and 3 dogs, you'll need a helper and a dog walker. There is no way I'd leave my infant with a helper who has to manage the house and take care of the 3 dogs. She only managed to get our house tidy as she 4 hours with no one in the house.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

carang is offline Registered User

it is too much for one helper to manage, a new born baby and 3 dogs. just think, what would she do when it is pouring rain out and she needs to take the dogs for their walk?

i would strongly suggest you either get a second helper or a dog walker.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

even if your helper is capable of handing baby & dogs, i am doubtful how good a job she'd be doing on each - it's just way too much to handle...unless of course your dogs don't need to go out and are trained to eat and entertain themselves nicely at home - then it'd only be a matter of preparing their meals - my dogs do not have the luxury of being walked anymore...there simply no time to clean them after their walk (wouldn't want them walking around the house with dirty paws as my daughter crawls on the same floor)...but lucky for us i have small dogs and the house is "big" enough for them to "exercise"...if you have big dogs, then I'd agree with cara that you need either a 2nd helper or a dog walker...

reei is offline Registered User

liquorice,

can she walk the dogs in the evening when you are at home with the baby?

carang is offline Registered User

leslie, ALL dogs need proper exercise, no matter what size they are.

we run a dog business and i can tell you that many people seem to think that because a dog is small, they don't need proper exercise or training. this just isn't the case. of the hundreds of dogs that come to stay with us, it's the small dogs that have the most problems (physical, personality, socially)....because they are not exercised or trained properly.

this is not an attack on you personally, just from extensive experience dealing with dogs, i can tell you that you are doing your dog no favours by thinking that it gets enough exercise running in circles around the house.

as for cleaning their paws after a walk... that takes roughly 1-2 minutes. (i know, i've done it.)

besides, wouldn't it be better to show your child what responsible pet ownership entails?

again, please don't take offense to what i've written, i just feel badly for the dog.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

in my opinion, you should get a helper and a pair of extra hands. if your baby was going to school then it would have been ok but not when he/she is an infant.

maybe you should put yourself in the helper's shoes and try to manage the daily chores with your baby and 3 dogs. if you can do it all then bravo! and no need to hire the pair of extra hands.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    leslie, ALL dogs need proper exercise, no matter what size they are.

we run a dog business and i can tell you that many people seem to think that because a dog is small, they don't need proper exercise or training. this just isn't the case. of the hundreds of dogs that come to stay with us, it's the small dogs that have the most problems (physical, personality, socially)....because they are not exercised or trained properly.

this is not an attack on you personally, just from extensive experience dealing with dogs, i can tell you that you are doing your dog no favours by thinking that it gets enough exercise running in circles around the house.

as for cleaning their paws after a walk... that takes roughly 1-2 minutes. (i know, i've done it.)

besides, wouldn't it be better to show your child what responsible pet ownership entails?

again, please don't take offense to what i've written, i just feel badly for the dog.
    don't worry about my dogs - we are dog lovers and they get plenty of exercise running around my parents apartment - luckily for them, they don't need to run in circles as we have loads of empty space to fight, bite, run, lie around, roam around our balcony, etc. etc.

i will eventually show my daughter what pet ownership entails, but am currently working hard on getting her to walk (she's 21 mths and only taking a few steps)....

definitely not offended, just wanted to reassure you that our dogs are in fact taken care of extremely well and there's no need to feel badly for them because they get plenty of exercise and trained well (both in and out the house) - we've had them for 10 years now so we really do care and love them alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast