Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bringing Newborn Back to Macau from HK

Macau Mum2b is offline Registered User

Unhappy Bringing Newborn Back to Macau from HK

Hi,

I am due to give birth in HK in one month but I live in Macau. I have a french passport, and a 3 star HK permanent ID. Does anyone know how I can get baby back to Macau to be with her daddy asap? How long does the hospital take to send the document to the birth registry, and what will I need to go through immigration in HK and Macau? I've gone through the gov website but can't make much sense of it.

Help please!

carang is offline Registered User

you MUST (1) register the baby's birth (this only takes a couple of hours

(2) once registered, then you will know if baby has right of abode in hk. (if you are PR HKID with 3*, then i'm assuming this is straight forward. it was for us, but in our case daddy was the 3*, i EARNED my PR here.)

(3) you should probably apply for passport on the same day as you receive the birth cert. (at different places, though). while at immig applying for the passport, enquire about a HKID for the baby, could save a lot of hassle at the immigration points.

i don't know exactly how it all works, as i applied for canadian passports for my kids, not Hk ones...

forgot to say: hospital doesn't send to registry afaik... we took the docs ourselves.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Just to add to what Cara said - if the baby does NOT have HK right of abode, you will need to apply for citizenship of your home country first before you can apply for the passport. There are a few countries that you can apply for citizenship and passport at the same time, but I think that most you have to do one after the other... (ie, wait for the citizenship to be approved before applying for passport). I'm Australian and we had to wait for citizenship. But I think Canadian is one where you can do both at once...

And now, the hospital DOES send the stuff to the registry. It can take up to 2 weeks but you can call and check, ask for it to be done sooner.

I tried to get my daughter's Australian passport ASAP and it took about 6 weeks. I don't know if you'd be able to get it done in much less than 4 - but I could be wrong...

thanks for the update... things must have changed since i had my last one, over 3 years ago (can't believe it!)

rani is offline Administrator

Have a read through this thread. Apparently there is a way to expedite the paperwork

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread133997.html

Also, contact the French consulate in HK and ask how long they need to issue a passport.