Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worrywart: AHA cream

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Worrywart: AHA cream

Hi, I have been using AHA cream for years now and am 3 months pregnant. When my dermatologist first prescribed it (or recommended it as it is not a prescription product) he knew I was trying to conceive and was specifically looking for something safe to use. Since I became pregnant I have checked twice with the clinic who insist that it is safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women and they prescribe it on a regular basis.

I double-checked with my obstetrician, however, and he has asked me not to use it. The reason for this seems to be that he cannot find that type of cream in any of his books that he references on this subject (this is what the receptionist told me) so he cannot be sure and he says the baby is more important so I shouldn't use it.

The cream keeps my skin clear and with pregnancy it keeps breaking out frequently so I really want to keep on using it. My rational mind says that if the dermatologist, who is also a doctor, says it is fine to use it then I am sure it is completely safe. But my paranoid self feels odd going against the instruction of my obstetrician, even though he has insufficient grounds really for his instruction.

Does anyone else us any AHA products or has used any during pregnancy? If so, can you reassure me that it is fine?

evelyne is offline Registered User

I would play safe and not use it. There are plenty of natural alternatives that will not harm. I used a cream before I knew I was pregnant which my doctor said was ok for pregnancy, but my baby later developed a condition similar to the one I was using the cream to heal (sort of fungus). It may not be linked but while things were bad with baby I felt full of guilt and regret about using that cream. Chances are you will be fine, but if something goes wrong you don't want to be guessing and blaming yourself.

Portia is offline Registered User

Not sure if this helps you, but according to this article (Safe skin care during pregnancy), it says "Note: Alpha hydroxy acids, sometimes listed as AHAs, glycolic acid, or lactic acid, are safe."

carang is offline Registered User

licorice, you REALLY must relax a little... you are missing this special time worrying about everything.

you need to stop second guessing everyone and everything. you will only drive yourself crazy with it all. if this is how you are handling small things now, how are you going to deal with things when the baby arrives?

i'm not being nasty, just trying to offer you some perspective. the dermatologist will have A LOT more knowledge & experience with the cream than will the OBGYN...would you ask your dermatologist for questions regarding the placental development of your baby? no.... it's not his field of expertise, right? if your dermatologist KNOWS you are pregnant, KNEW you were trying to conceive before then he/she WOULD NOT prescribe something that would be harmful.

i was on A LOT of meds during my two very complicated pregnancies. some of the meds were definitely NOT recommended for pregnancy, but i had no choice. the risk to the pregnancy was smaller than the risk of my not taking the meds.

and evelyne, if you were using a cream to HEAL something, then how in the world can you link your baby catching the same thing to using the cream??? the cream HEALS the problem, not causes it...

lastly, we all know that pregnancy can be a trying time and that we all go a little nuts with it, but it is also a very special time. if you spend it constantly worried about the small stuff, you run the risk of it passing you by completely. pregnancy & then motherhood is a truly amazing experience. i hope that you are able to relax a little and try to enjoy it instead of constantly questioning yourself.... believe me, when your little one is born and begins to grow, you will have AMPLE opportunity to question your decisions! LOL!

ps> caps for emphasis NOT intended as yelling.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I don't worry about everything....just a few things :)

carang is offline Registered User

glad to hear it! enjoy!

evelyne is offline Registered User

Sorry did not mean to cause worry to scares. That was just my personal reaction on the issue, based more on the emotional (potential guilt/remorse) issue than any knowledge of the medical facts.

The most important is to be at peace with what you decide to do. And I understand and agree on the importance of relaxing and taking it easy...but that is often the hard part!

enjoy!

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

hi,

i would go with the gynae :) i am usually the sort who hates unwated/unasked advice during pregnancy. and i can see cara's point here. but honestly, if my gynae said "no, i am not sure" then i couldnt use the cream irrespective of whatever other docs say. or i would get a second opinion from another gynae :)

medicine is quite a complex field (i am not a doc - but i come from a family full of docs). many a times doctors also dont have a clear cut answer to all our questions. and in the end it's just better to be safe. wouldnt you be more worried if you remember what yr gynae said every time you apply the cream.

and i can totally relate to what you are going through. around the time i conceived i also got bad pain in one of my pelvic joints. it was so bad i couldnt even walk or move sometimes. saw many orthopedics; but they said there's only so much they could do during the time i was carrying. so i put up with it. i know for a fact that accupunture would have helped but it would just have made me sick thinking i have managed to harm the baby in some manner.

coming back to the main point... i completely agree with cara. just let go and relax :) enjoy yr pregnancy ! all the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast