Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

ROA Endorsment in Non-HKSAR Passport

Portia is offline Registered User

ROA Endorsment in Non-HKSAR Passport

Can anyone with recent experience tell me how long it took to get an ROA endorsement sticker in your child's non-HKSAR passport? The notes to the application form say it will take 6 weeks, but I was wondering if it really takes as long as that! I won't be collecting my baby's Canadian passport until around 2-3 weeks before we travel and would prefer to get the ROA sticker if possible rather than to carry his HK birth certificate.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Is the ROA endorsement sticker the one that says your child has a right to get a permanent Hong Kong ID card? If it is, then I think it does take longer than 2-3 weeks. I think we applied for the sticker for our son about 3 weeks before we travelled and we didn't end up getting it in time so had to bring his HK birth certificate with us.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

We applied in person with a letter saying that we needed it done faster because we were travelling on such and such a date - but they got it done in about 2 weeks for us. I think that regularly, it does take more like 6 weeks... Just talk with them and apply in person with a letter outlining your travel dates and they'll do their best to get it done...

Portia is offline Registered User

Thanks. I will send the application in with a covering letter. I can only get my baby's Canadian passport around 3 weeks before we travel as they would only accept the application 6 weeks before we travel so I'll just have to see if we can get the sticker in time. I know it's not a big deal to travel with the birth certificate as I have been doing it with my eldest, but last time we travelled I forgot his birth certificate! This time I thought I had better get the ROA stickers if possible.

Santithapa is offline Registered User

I was also told that I will have to get Roa sticker from immigration for my baby. Some told me that they wont allow us to travel if we dont get Roa sticker even if we carry our baby's birth certificate when traveling. Is this true?

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Santithapa View Post
    I was also told that I will have to get Roa sticker from immigration for my baby. Some told me that they wont allow us to travel if we dont get Roa sticker even if we carry our baby's birth certificate when traveling. Is this true?
    Hi, you can travel with your birth certificate but its easier for immigration if you have the sticker in your child's passport. Immigration clearance at the airport is a bit faster and it only costs $200 to apply.

Right of Abode | Immigration Department
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Santithapa is offline Registered User

Thanks for the reply. But one of my friends who wanted to travel with baby to macau was returned back asking to get the sticker from immigration dept dispite having permanent birth certificate

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Santithapa View Post
    Thanks for the reply. But one of my friends who wanted to travel with baby to macau was returned back asking to get the sticker from immigration dept dispite having permanent birth certificate
    Thanks for sharing. Have never heard of anyone being refused exit. Even on entry if the immigration officer can't verify your ROA, they will give you a min 2 week visa and ask you to go immigration tower to extend your visa/change your status.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002