Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why are there no automatic doors in HK?

StareBear is offline Registered User

Why are there no automatic doors in HK?

As I battled my way around central today with a pram and an umbrella, I found it so frustrating that none of the shopping centres and buildings have automatic doors. Is there a logical reason? Is it something about keeping the freezing cold aircon in? It really is such a non-pram friendly city.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

It drives me crazy too - I heard it was all about keeping in the AC... with the number of people in and around the malls in HK, automatic doors would be ALWAYS open. I wish that there was at least ONE or TWO automatic door entrances for each mall... I've seen so many elderly people struggling to open the heavy doors, and it is very difficult for people pushing a pram or a wheelchair as well... I think it's a necessity - but over here it's just not as common... too bad...

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I soooooo agree with you !! It drives me crazy everytime, and the doors seems so heavy... I think the most unpractical door I had to use is the one in 360 to go to the toilets and changing table !!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

The mall where I live has one entrance with automatic doors. Love them. The other doors are extremely heavy.
    Central is the worst for going around with your baby in a pram in. Don't even get me started about Central - hate going there.
    Yes, HK can be a very disappointing city to have young kids in, particularly with the stroller accessibility issues.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

But who needs automatic doors when everyone is so polite about holding them open for you????

Oh, I forgot, we live in Hong Kong!!! ;-)

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

Yes, this bugs me to bits too. And yes, auto doors would mean no doors with the number of people going in and out all day. Sad but true and something we have to live with. Same goes for some MTR stations that don't have lifts/escalators going up to street level. Never has anyone offered to help me with the stroller going up flights of stairs at the station where we live. I feel like I'm in their way half the time.

banane76 is offline Registered User

I totally agree!!! In Canada they have buttons for the doors for those that need assistance, ie. with wheelchairs or prams so that would solve the problem with the A/C excuse. I find it almost impossible to get around central with a pram. I just use my babycarrier unless I'm just going to the mall--IFC, elements, pacific place...not to really shop, but to just get out of the house for a coffee! Although I will say that Elements has a GREAT changing room with a separate nursing room and so does Times square.

solidstars is offline Registered User

Elements is SO baby friendly. Too bad it's not THAT easy to get to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast