Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Total cost for deliverying with Dr. Patrick Chan or dr. Grace Cheung

mariac is offline Registered User

I am about 9 weeks pregnant. I saw Dr Chan for my first appointment around 6 weeks. He seems nice. I'm also going to try out Grace Cheung before I settle on one or the other. From what I've heard, Dr Chan is a good doctor but has about 50% of his patients delivering by C-section. Grace Cheung and Lucy Lord have only a 30% rate of C-sections. I got this information from midwives who have worked with all these doctors closely. Perhaps this is of no consequence to some, but other than cost, this may be one other difference between the two doctors.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

With Dr. Chan, you have to be very clear what your wishes are and not waffle and he'll deliver. I asked for a natural - insisted on it unless it was life-threatening. Also asked to walk away with 2 stitches.

I just delivered 6 days ago at the Matilda and he delivered! Natural birth with just a 1 cm tear.

The bill for Dr. Chan (only) during the stay was $23 500 as I was staying in 4 bedroom ward.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

wenyihsu is offline Registered User

I just delivered with Dr Chan in Feb. I had a c-section but mostly cause I had one for my first (due to my own medical problems) and the probability of having a successful natural birth seemed too low for me to want to try. But I have to say though, Dr Chan never even brought up the topic of natural or c-section until I asked him beginning of my 3rd trimester. I think he assumed that I would be giving natural birth. I really didn't think he was trying to sway me one way or another. He merely gave me all the facts and statistics and said I had plenty of time to think about it more. Even when I did decide to go with a c-section, he still asked me again if I were sure, etc ... So even though his record seems to indicate that he pushes for c-sections, I really don't think that's the case.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Also, Dr Chan sees a lot of local patients and patients from the mainland... perhaps this is a contributing factor?

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

missidealiste is offline Registered User

Dr. Patrick Chan's book is only open to those who deliver with him at Matilda

Hullo!

I just wanna give you an update. When I read that Dr. Patrick Chan is still nice with patients that were to deliver later at public, I couldn't wait to meet him...
    Thinking that he is unusual and not money oriented like most OB in HK. I look forward in meeting him.

I called to his office today to schedule my first appointment with him BUT after a few questions ( I still don't know if he got a slot for me), Im was told that Im not "qualified" to be his patient.

The receptionist didn't tell me that he is schedule was full. After some investigation, I learned why I got rejected... It was because I am NOT sure yet If I want Matilda and mostly because I mentioned QHM as a back up!

Well I'm disappointed for sure!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

If that is the reason that you have been turned away then that is surprising. Dr Patrick Chan was one of the only OBs that I had heard of who still take public hospital patients. So if he has now taken this view, he is only doing what so many other private OBs are doing - eg: Lucy Lord and Grace Cheung to name two. Dr Cheung is so busy with private hospital patients that I understand she has had to turn away patients as she is fully booked up. I can understand why they would prefer to see a patient right through to delivery - although perhaps it is primarily for monetary reasons, I'd also like to believe their justifications that they cannot fully look after their patient if they have to let them go at the crucial stage as they can't help them deliver in a public hospital.

Perhaps someone on here can recommend another private OBs who takes public hospital patients.

Good luck.

taysty is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by missidealiste View Post
    Hullo!

I just wanna give you an update. When I read that Dr. Patrick Chan is still nice with patients that were to deliver later at public, I couldn't wait to meet him...
    Thinking that he is unusual and not money oriented like most OB in HK. I look forward in meeting him.

I called to his office today to schedule my first appointment with him BUT after a few questions ( I still don't know if he got a slot for me), Im was told that Im not "qualified" to be his patient.

The receptionist didn't tell me that he is schedule was full. After some investigation, I learned why I got rejected... It was because I am NOT sure yet If I want Matilda and mostly because I mentioned QHM as a back up!

Well I'm disappointed for sure!
    I know that Dr Chan has a new receptionist on top of the 3 nurses (one nurse is a replacement). When I call to arrange a Gynae check up she doesn't seem too experience and always asking me to wait.

My guess he is really too busy that he had to cut down on public patients? Maybe some existing patients complain that the wait was too long as he said sorry to keep us waiting (I had wait way longer before honestly)

Anyway, I really hope he is not turning public patients away.

Biggie is offline Registered User

I was at his clinic this week and heard his nurse turning patients away cos he is not taking new patients till august.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast