Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

When to introduced expressed milk in a bottle?

Macau Mum2b is offline Registered User

Angry When to introduced expressed milk in a bottle?

I have been exclusively breastfeeding ( except for the first 2 days when the hospital gave bub formula ) but would like to express milk so her daddy can feed her too and I might enjoy an occasional drink. I am a bit worried about nipple confusion though, especially right now, her latch still needs some fine tuning as when she's cranky it feels she is going to rip my nipple off.
    Also how much time must I allow if I have a drink before letting her back on the breast?

banane76 is offline Registered User

I would make sure she's good at the latch before introducing the bottle...our baby had bottle at the hospital too when she was in special care. However, once we got home, we worked really hard on the latch. Maybe start in week 3 or 4. Don't wait too long after that as then baby may not like the bottle. We used Breastflow in the beginning though as it makes bub work a little harder for the milk so more similar to breastfeeding. For an alcoholic drink you mean? I think one or 2 glasses of wine is no problem...more than that, maybe check with a lactation consultant or LLL. Then I think you need to pump and dump the milk.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My hospital also gave my baby a bottle after he was first born. By day 4 I was solely breastfeeding and had a hard time with it so I didn`t want to re-introduce the bottle until his latch was good and everything was going great.
    Unfortunately, by the time I did re-introduce it during week 5 it was too late and he rejected all bottles thereafter (until many months later).
    So I would also suggest week 3-4 to be sure she won`t also reject it.

rani is offline Administrator

I started at around week 6 and only gave 1 bottle of EBM at the 10pm feed. Baby didn't reject as he was too tired and just wanted to go back to sleep.

Good luck!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

I asked Sarah from LLL last week and she advised no earlier than 6 weeks.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love