Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Low Birth Weight

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Low Birth Weight

I just had my 31 week scan and it showed that my baby was quite small - her head and stomach are measuring about 2-3 weeks smaller than she should be though her thigh bone length is at the 31 week mark. Just wondering if any other mums out there has experienced their babies having a small size about 2 months before their due date and if so, what did you do to try to improve the size of the baby? My doctor checked that I had enough amniotic fluid and that the blood flow through the umbilical cord is good - so I know I don't really have a medical problem. I guess the only thing going against me is that my husband and I are genetically prone to having small babies since we were both less than 6 pounds when we were born (as was my son when he was born) and also, I am still working full time and having to take care of a toddler when I get home from work so it's hard to get rest. Anyways, anybody else out there with this experience and any advice for me? Thanks!!

Sazzy is offline Registered User

My baby was measuring small at around the 30 week mark but it has now had a growth spurt. Head and Thigh bone are now the right size but the stomach is still 2 weeks behind. My obs said nothing to worry about. All babies are different. All grow at different rates. As long as your baby is growing and there is enough water, then the placenta is working properly and there is nothing to worry about. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Thanks for sharing Sazzy! My obs said that there is enough water and the blood flow through the umbilical cord is ok so the nutrients do seem to be getting through. Anyways, we'll see how it goes at my next appointment in two weeks. In the meantime I guess all I can do is continue to eat nutritiously and rest as much as I can given the circumstances!

Anyone else have similar experience?

AmyH is offline Registered User

On my 30 week scan the doctor informed me that my daughter's stomach was quite small for her gestation. He mentioned it again after the 34 week scan but when she was born she was fine and has not had any trouble gaining weight or feeding. She is now just about to turn one year old and is perfectly healthy.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

In my experience the scans aren't all that accurate for determining weight and size there really is quite a large margin of error - I was told my baby was going to be huge and one scan that he was a month bigger than he should be and it turned out he was born 12 days late and 3.6 kg. Not huge at all, especially not for an overdue baby.

All the scans did for me was make be worry about my huge monster baby for no reason - try not to worry about it.