Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

private obgyn./deliver public

geocup Guest

private obgyn./deliver public

I'm in Central and looking for a private OBGYN that will see someone who is delivering in a public hospital.

I just called my OBGYN's office and asked the nurse if he will still see me if I delivered publicly.... she laughed at me! (Karma :) )

Let me know if you have any leads!

AmyH is offline Registered User

I saw Dr. Doo throughout my pregnancy and delivered publicly. I did not advise the nurses though, I just called and booked an appointment with him and at our first consultation advised him that I would be delivering in the public hospital. He was fine with this and was a great doctor throughout my pregnancy. I would highly recommend him. Good luck with your pregnancy.

geocup Guest

Thank you! If you don't mind - I have a few questions?..... how often did you see him? How much on average was a consultation? Which hospital did you deliver at and how did you find the experience? Thanks for helping me out!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Dr Patrick Chan is also great for that - he's cheaper than other doctors as well, and very helpful in coordinating your appointments and extra tests around the public hospital's more inflexible schedule.

I saw him early in my pregnancy, I think about every 4 weeks at the time. And I think a regular consultation was around $850... I ended up being transferred to QMH from Pamela Youde because of complications in my pregnancy and I had so many appointments that I stopped seeing Dr Chan, but I've known people who went to him their entire pregnancy and delivered in a public hospital. I'll definitely be going back to him if I have another child!!

geocup Guest

Thank you AmyH and thank you too Nicole. ...I will contact both and see what is my best option.... Nicole, just wanted to say how happy I am hear how your daughter is going from strength to strength. She is adorable! Holding her for the first time must have been magic!

I saw Dr. Doo every 4 weeks and the cost was $900 for consultation and $1000 for ultrasound, which I had on every visit. As Nicole mentioned above, Dr Doo was also good about not doing unnecessary tests etc and asked me about my public hosital appointments so that he did not duplicate anything.
    As for the public hospital, I found it to be fine. I was induced at 41 weeks, was in labour for 24 hours and ended up having an emergency c-section. At every step of the way I did not have any language barrier issues. Both my surgeon for the c-section and the anaestatist were Australian and all of the nurses on the ward spoke good English. I gave birth in the Prince of Wales Hospital (Shatin). The only issues I found were the food (many threads on this!) and my husband could not be with me for the birth but it was the time of swine flu outbreak so we had no choice there. I brought some cereal bars to the hospital with me and ate them until my husband brought me dinner! It was not a bad experience at all and if were to ever have another child I would opt for public hospital again (not that I am planning that though!!!)

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Hi AmyH. Good to read your review on the Prince of Wales as I am delivering there in November. Can I ask you a question - was there any flexibility in terms of visiting hours? One of my concerns about going with the public system is that visiting hours are restricted to two hours a day. Are they very strict about this or can visitors typically stay longer?

To be honest Liquorice I did not ask about the visiting hours and with Swine flu going on at the time they were fairly strict about everything then!
    I know that on the front door of the ward there is a buzzer and if your husband arrived at any time he could buzz it and you can go outside to him but not sure if he would be allowed on to the ward.
    There was a lady on our ward that delivered q4ite late in the night and her husband was allowed to c6me in with her and sit with her for a while to get her settled in so in that respect they may be a little bit flexible. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast