Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to choose Hospital?

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Smile How to choose Hospital?

Hello Ladies!

I am a first time mummy,EDD April 2011. and just moved to HK 4 months ago. I have seen a gyne early this week and he wrote a referrer letter to Princess Margaret Hospital for me to had me book for the OSCAR Test. He said it is cheaper to do it at public hospital. Could anyone share with me the experience on how to choose a hospital? If we decided to choose giving birth in public hospital, will they allow my husband to go into the labour ward with me? I am kinda scare going in alone... Besides, does anyone gave birth in Princess Margaret before?an idea of the expenses would be good for me too...

Thanks in advance!

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Hi. I chose public over private because a) I don't have medical insurance and the cost of delivery in a private hospital can be really high (my friend paid $150k for an emergency c-section + other complications at Matilda) and b) the quality of medical care through the public system in Hong Kong is very good; couldn't justify the cost of not going public.

Of the public hospitals I chose the one I did because a) it is relatively close to my home and I wanted somewhere my visiting mother could drive to easily without having to navigate her way through complicated HK roads, b) it has affiliations with HKU, and teaching hospitals tend to have very good reputations, c) it has a neonatal unit so if anything goes badly wrong my baby would be in the best place and d) I had a friend who gave birth there and so could reassure me about the experience.

They have said that my husband can be in the room with me. I am having an elective c-section so it should all be very well planned and calm. I'm not sure whether they let the husband in if a delivery doesn't go as planned - I seem to recall hearing a story of a husband having to leave during an emergency c-section but cannot be certain - other people will need to answer that. The downside for me is the visiting hours are only 2 hours per day (at my hospital anyway; I know others have started to change policy since SARS). As I have to be there for 5 days after a c-section I find that pretty miserable.

AmyH is offline Registered User

I don't think you can "choose" your public hospital, it has to be the one closest to your address as far as I know. I went to PWH in Shatin and it was fine.

As a side note: Liquorice, I had an emergency c-section on the Tuesday afternoon and was home on Friday evening so did not have to stay for five days.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I'm also having my baby at PMH in Feb. I cant really choose as its the major hospital for my area. I've been there a couple of times and it seems decent, though I will definitely be augmenting my antenatal care with a private doc.

what I was told about labour is that the husband is encouraged to be there throughout labour and delivery. If, however, a c-section is needed or planned, since you'd go into an operating theatre, hubby cannot be there for 'hygiene' reasons. They also told me that the baby will be with you next to your bed unless the baby needs some kind of medical attention. How much of that is accurate, I don't know, but that's what they told me.
    For a normal delivery they would release you in 36-48 hrs, and if a c-section, a day longer.
    I heard the cost is about $100hkd a day or so.

AmyH is offline Registered User

my bill was $380 hkd, which included an emergency c-section! I was allowed to have my baby next to me all the time (except whent he nurses bathed her in the nursery). My husband was not allowed to be there for delivery (but it was the time of swine flu outbreak) so the rules were different.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Mavislohsp
    From a private hospital point of view:
    I've just had a straight forward, no complications birth at the Matilda. Had a choice between standard 4 bedroom and a 2 bedder and I chose the former. Matilda deserves it's reputation. It is a hotel not a hospital. The care and attention from the midwives were excellent. I'm glad i chose the Matilda as I don't speak any Chinese and everyone spoke good English. So when i had trouble (with breastfeeding) or even when I needed a glass of ice, the midwives and the amahs understood me.
    The final bill came to $63 000. Worth every penny. Of course I was mostly covered by insurance.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Dear all,

Thank you for your advice, it is really helpful! Have a great day everyone!

okezie is offline Registered User

POW not ideal but never felt in any danger

I gave birth in December to my baby at Prince of wales.

I have priase for some of the nurses and midwives who tried to support me, but the language and cultural divide at most times was too great.

It was not ideal being in a ward with 10 other women, all Chinese, all silent (why the hell is that?). WHile I was in active labour with no support from hubby (not allowed in) and groaning and yelling my way through the contractions. I was not allowed to have gas until I was in the delivery room, and they wouldnt wheel me there until i was 3 cm dialated. Hubby was finally allowed to be by my side when I was 10cm.

I had to deal with insensitive midwives who giggled while they chatted to each other whilst I was int he middle of intense final stages contractions. Screaming at "that stupid B***h to shut the f**k up" helped them take me seriously (she rapidly left the room, not to be seen again!)

SO I would love anyone's experiences with Queen Mary. I hear they let hubby in?
    Visitors/hours?
    ANtenatal care?
    ANy help would be great - BB 3 due in May.