Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

cheese and wheat flour

1stimemum is offline Registered User

cheese and wheat flour

hi my 8th month old is now on solids and I've done veggies, fruits, meats. I would like to introduce him to Cheese but would like pasteurized and unsalted cheese suitable for infants - is there such a thing where can I get it?

I went to City Super and they had pasteurized cheese but were not sure about the salt.

Also if i'm trying to avoid wheat flour which of the following are acceptable substitutes?

Oat Flour
    RIce FLour
    Gluten free flour (what is this anyway)
    Quinoa flour ?

i'm want to use the flour to make pancakes / waffles for him.

thanks all!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

I don't think it's actually possible to make cheese without salt :-) some are saltier than others though, if he's not having much it shouldn't be a problem.

On the flour, if he has wheat allergy I'd look online as there are support groups that share recipes that leave out common allergens.

1stimemum is offline Registered User

i guessed as much :) . I am trying to make his meals alittle more interesting as 2 mths of pureed everything is so the same!! If i started with a cheddar in his beef/ broccoli , do you think it would be ok?

has anyone attempted to make their own biscuits/ teething foods for babies?

LeahH is offline Registered User

You can use a gluten free pancake mix (available in 360 and City Super) or a gluten free baking mix or flour - typically rice flou. almond meal or maize based flour. Oat flour is ok, that's wheat free but not gluten free. 360 have the biggest range of everything wheat and gluten free

BLWC is offline Registered User

Are you concerned about allergies? Or is there another reason why you're avoiding these foods? I've been giving my 10 month old cheese for a while now and he loves it. I've also read it's important to give them dairy at this age for the calcium and good fats. As long as the cheese isn't too processed I'm sure it's fine.

Many baby cereals are actually rice or oat flour so I guess you could use them as a substitute if you have trouble finding the real thing.

I cook all of my son's meals myself and I get a lot of recipes from www.wholesomebabyfood.com. They might have some gluten-free recipes if that's what you're looking for.

http://typhoonsandtantrums.blogspot.com