Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Doctor Patrick Chan's Fees

Cis
    Cis is offline Registered User

Doctor Patrick Chan's Fees

Hello,
    I am expecting my first baby , I am due at the beginning of October and I am going to deliver with Doctor Patrick Chan.
    Has anyone delivered with Doctor Patrick Chan? Could you please share your experience with me?
    In particular, as I need to pay his fees and the hospital fees ( my insurance will then refund me later), I would like to know how much he charges for a normal delivery.
    Thank you very much in advance for your help.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Dr Chan delivered my baby 3 weeks ago.
    He charges $850 per consult including the ultrasound.
    If there are tests, then those charges are on top of the regular consult. I've never been billed than $1500 or was it $1750... Can't believe I've already forgotten! Usually it's just $1250 e.g. consult + blood & glucose test. Never had to wait long. I think just one or two appt. when we had to wait at most half and hour.

Delivery at Matilda is very much dependent on the class of ward you choose.
    The bill for my standard ward at Matilda including daily checks was $23500 - natural birth.

He is in my opinion and experience the absolute bees knees! Loved my experience with him (and his nurses) to bits! He knew what I wanted and totally delivered! I told him to beat my wonderful birth experience with a private top-notch OBGYN in Sydney and he totally did! I walked away with just a 1 cm tear - natural tear. My bub came out with just 4 pushes and he was really hands on to ensure that I did not tear terribly and bub came out without forceps or vacuum. He was not just there at the end as I've heard most OBGYNs are - he was there throughout the last stage and constantly checked with the midwives how I was going from when we got there. He's also humble and has such lovely bedside manners. If I had another baby, I would definitely go with him again!

*Note - I actually switched from a popular OBGYN to Dr. Chan and am so glad!

Last edited by TheQuasimother; 09-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Cis

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with me. Your message is really useful and encouraging!

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Hi The Quasimother,

Did you mean $23500 for the hospital bill and doctor's fees all-in all? (of coz not including the pre-natal visit charge. Thank you.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Mavislohsp

$23 000 was just the bill for Dr Chan.
    The total bill worked out to be $63 000 for a standard stay in the standard ward (including hubby's food). So it was birth suite + anesthetist fees + epi fee + OBGYN fees + tests for baby (during the hospital stay - including non-standard tests) + Pediatrician fees + hubby's food)

Matilda provides everything for the mum so there is no other extra costs during your stay.

I had to choose between a two-bedder and a four-bedder (that was all that was available at that time). I chose the latter coz the company was better and it was more spacious - I had half the ward to myself.

We originally budgeted $150 000 (for a worse case scenario) e.g. if natural birth didn't work out, it'd be an emergency c-section or if the only room available was a first class ward. Dr Chan's fees correlates with the class of your ward as with all other fees at the hospital. The other important thing to note with Matilda is that the deposit you pay doesn't count towards the final bill if you have a Letter of Guarantee from your insurance provider. So there will be an out-of-pocket expenditure if you have a cap on your policy like we did.

Good Luck!

Cheers!
    QM

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Cis

Hi The QuasiMother,
    I have just sent you a pm with the same question. Please ignore it. Thanks a lot for the clarification.

LOJITT is offline Registered User

Just to add to QM's post, your invoice from the Matilda will include their own charges (for use of the facilities basically, and the midwife/ nursing fees, prescription charges) plus the charges billed on behalf of the other doctors that you use. These are:

- your Ob/gyn (as QM says, these are dependent on room class)
    - the paediatrician who will check the baby on delivery and daily during your stay and who will perform some basic tests/ do some vaccs if you require.
    - the anaesthetist if you have an epidural. Approx $12000. The Matilda also make a charge for the monitoring of the epidural which is in addition to the price they quote you

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

The Quasimother and LOJITT,

Thank you so much for the explanation, I have better picture now. Cheers!