Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

costs of private hospital stay in HK

babyblue#1 is offline Registered User

Smile costs of private hospital stay in HK

Hi guys..

I'm 3 months pregnant and I was told that it's time to start booking bed for delivery since they get booked out very quickly... is it true?
    I was looking at Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital and they have a package for 3 days 2 nights stay price depends on what kind of room i want to get. But when I looked up closely i realised a lot of things are not included in the price and total up could cost up to 40k for a local. Is other private hospitals the same?
    And has anyone have any recommendation? I would prefer private hospital since I had very bad experience with publics...

carang is offline Registered User

other hospitals are often more! all inc, a stay at matilda or many of hte other private hospitals could easily cost you over $100K!

ps> private hospitals don't care if you are "local" or not, that only applies to public hospitals where the gov't covers much of the cost.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

BabyBlue#1

I delivered at the Matilda on what is probably the cheapest package - Ward Room 4 days/3 nights - $63 000.
    It was a fantastic experience and would recommend it if you could afford it. It's like being in a 5*hotel!
    You get a lot of personal attention from the midwives, lactation consultants and even the amahs! They all made time for my needs during my stay. Every penny was well spent!

I did budget for $150000 as that would have been the cost for a natural birth - no complications for a first class ward at the Matilda. I didn't have to worry about a birth with complications as my insurance would cover all costs of such a birth.

Good Luck! I'm sure the public sector does a great job too - especially given the price tag. I've heard both good and bad experiences.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

If you are three months pregnant already, you should hussle and get yourself a booking if you want to be at a private hospital. Lots of private hospitals fill up really early - I booked my room at the HK Sanitorium when I was 8 weeks pregnant and paid my deposit at 12 weeks.

LOJITT is offline Registered User

Just to add, when you get a quote from a private hospital for a maternity package, all they are quoting you for is the use of the facilities, midwifery and nursing. They are NOT including the costs of the Obstetrician to attend the delivery, paediatrician or anaethetist, who are all independent of the hospital. Obs fees depend on the individual Ob and the room class (they charge more if you take a private room than a 4 bed room- can range from $20k-$50k). Anaethetist is around $12,000 for an epidural. Paediatrician fees (attend delivery and daily checks during your stay plus the initial tests and vaccs) can be around $10,000. Therefore it can all add up very quickly.

If you go public, it costs about $300 but you cant then choose your Obs. You just get who is there on the day. The other downsides to the public system are short visiting hours, restrictions on when your birth partner can be with you (varies by hospital) and less support on things like breastfeeding. However, you have to weigh this up against the cost, and if I didnt have insurance , I think I'd be off to QM like a shot.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by LOJITT View Post
    .....Anaethetist is around $12,000 for an epidural. Paediatrician fees (attend delivery and daily checks during your stay plus the initial tests and vaccs) can be around $10,000. ....
    Something that most people never talk about but it goes on all the time is the art of bargaining. Maybe some people feel shy about it and are reluctant but it does happen and can give you great savings.

I have not heard of anyone being able to bargain down the hospital rates, but when it comes to doctors and their charges feel free to negotiate. We did it :-)
    Epidural : Initial quote for us (8 years ago) was $8500. We negotiated down to $5,500.
    Padiatrician : Initial quote for us was $7000. We negotiated down to $4000.

Dont be shy; if you dont ask you wont get anything.

HC

LOJITT is offline Registered User

howard- good info, but believe me, by the time i decided i needed an epi, i was in no position to bargain - lol

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    BabyBlue#1
    Good Luck! I'm sure the public sector does a great job too - especially given the price tag. I've heard both good and bad experiences.
    Quasimother, what are the bad experiences you've heard of? It is just bedside manner and such things isn't it rather than quality of medical care?

I'm starting to get a little nervous about my due date - I'm having a planned c-section and starting to worry about just getting whichever doctor is there on the day doing the operation. I'm worried about a junior doctor doing it, in particular, as those are the doctors I have had most experience with at check-ups so far, and they don't really inspire confidence...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast