Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Confused

SydneyGal is offline Registered User

Confused

Hi all, i will be approaching 12 weeks on Monday and would like to confirm babys heartbeat before we tell the world. I have already had 2 scans ( one at 7w in Australia and another at 9w at the queen Mary epac after I had some spotting). Both of these came back fine and I have not had any troubles since.

I will be having the baby in oz but The nurse at the epacgave me a referral to team yuk for antenatal appointments. I have an appointment to "register" on Wednesday but I'm not sure what they will do there? Will they give me a check up and listen for heartbeat or is it simply a registration and you need to come back at a layer date for the check up??
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

If you are talking about a public clinic, they won't do anything ultrasound related. If you went earlier they would have offered you an appoint,net to do the first trimester screening for downs which includes an ultrasound, but it is too Kate for that for you.
    I would just waltz into a private walk in clinic and ask for an ultrasound.

Thanks shenzhennifer....just wondering why is it too late for the downs testing? I thought it could be done between 11 and 13 weeks? I will only be 12w2d when I go for the appointment?

Either way I'm not fussed about getting another ultrasound or the downs test...more curious about whether they will use a Doppler?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Violet A is offline Registered User

Hi SydneyGal

When you go for the ultrasound, you can hear and see the heartbeat?? I cerainly did loud and clear! Mind me asking which hospital in Sydney? Just curious! I am still thinking about it also to deliver back in Sydney..

Hi violet! I'm planning on having the baby at the SAN in wahroonga.

Reason I'm not too keen on having another ultrasound is that I have read that too many isn't good for bubs
    Posted via Mobile Device

Violet A is offline Registered User

Yeah that's fair enough.. I am assuming you've only got an appointment at team Yuk? in that case, I think it might be similar to what I went through.. literally registration - interview about your health, your pregnancy, general health check up, urine test, blood pressure check.. when I went for my registration, they didn't check for the baby's heartbeat or anything.. My downs test was done at the hospital. Have you got the hospital appointment booked for the downs test?

Also, in Australia, I used to go to my local medical centre to hear the heartbeat whenever I was worried or paranoid! I am not sure about here though.. you might want to check it out by going to a local doctor; much cheaper than a private OB who charges up to $1000HK for a consultation!

Good luck!

THanks. Some of the girls have recommended annerley before so I might cancel yuk and just go there. 350 isn't bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

When you go for your appointment, ask them if it's possible to book you into the screening test the following day or something. I had mine the week after I went to my first appointment at the clinic. They won't use a Doppler until your second govt clinic appointment, at least they didn't at 10 wks for me.
    Ultrasounds have never been found to harm the baby. They are using sound waves, not radiation.