Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One breast producing more milk than the other

southside852 is offline Registered User

One breast producing more milk than the other

For the first 8 days, I nursed my son, then found it was just too much for me and my nipples (he has such a strong suck!) and decided to just pump. My left breast produces half of what my right one does. Is this normal? I massage my left as I pump, but am not sure why one produces 40 ML (the most 60 ML) and the other produces 100/120 ML each session. Is there anything I can do to increase milk production on the left side? Should I just let my son nurse from the left to increase stimulation.....any one else have this problem?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Me also. My left always had more. I read that this is normal, though it definitely made him nurse on my left more. I read that different sides can have different capacities.

southside852 is offline Registered User

yes, I read that it's normal too, but the difference is huge! i thought maybe 20-30 ML difference, but i feel like just pumping 20 MLs out of my left breast takes forever. I just had him nurse directly from my left side so maybe this will help...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Yes, even from the beginning (only BFing), the right side was a problem and way more painful. He must have been sucking harder on that side bc there was less milk.
    It sounds like a good idea to let him suck directly. It must stimulate things more for sure.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

yup same thing with me! tried to have my baby suck more on the breast that produced less milk to stimulate more milk and it worked for me - but then baby got so pissed off with sucking something for so long and not getting milk, I couldn't do it for an extended time.

wenyihsu is offline Registered User

I think it's completely normal. For both of my kids my right breast had double the capacity as my left. I had tried to correct it by having my first suck on my left more often but I don't think it made a difference. I didn't even bother with my second. I figured that if I was producing enough milk then it wasn't a big deal. Good luck!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gataloca is offline Registered User

My right one produces more milk, but I don't really bother since the left one still produces enough to fulfill my baby.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

My left breast always produced more than my right, didn't pump so not sure about actual volume but there was defiinitely a big difference. As your babies sucking is what increases the supply it will help if you let him suck on the lower volume side, especially as you're in early days so your supply is still getting established.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast