Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helper visa for Australia

KathyKitzis is offline Registered User

Helper visa for Australia

HI all,
    Just wondering if anyone has travelled to Australia recently with their helper.
    I will be travelling on my own with my 3yr old twins and would like her to come along, but also because I will have some medical treatment in Australia, so will need her help with the kids while I am in hospital.
    I saw on the website that they do not allow helpers to work there only to go on holidays. Has anyone had any problems getting a visa for their helper recently?

sherwes is offline Registered User

Hi,
    We got a visa for our helper no problems. It's a common application and the website for the counsulate in HK has the relevant forms along with guidance notes.
    As you've pointed out you shouldn't apply for a visa for your helper to work in Australia. Rather, you need to apply for a holiday visa.

sparkles72 is offline Registered User

Kathy in April we took our helper to Melbourne for a month without a problem - I tried for another visa in July and was knocked back - it appears that 1 month 'helper visa's' have been scrapped and now you need to apply for a 3 month visa. In addition, you need to prove it is a holiday for the helper - they require evidence of holiday activities or a hotel booking etc. When I rang the hotline the lady told me that it is near impossible to get a visa approved and they really only approve the visa now for helpers who have been with the family for many years or if there are no children - a 3 year old and twins - clearly you will be taking her to Australia to work.
    Australian foreign diplomats are allowed to bring their helpers with them though and they are allowed to work for them in Aust - one rule for them and another for us it seems.

sherwes is offline Registered User

Wow! Thanks for posting that sparkles72. I just checked the consulate website and the guidance notes have been totally revised. Sorry for steering you in the wrong direction Kathy.

Anyone else who has tried to apply for a visa recently?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I was out for lunch a couple of months ago and there were two Australians sitting at the table right next to me, talking really loudly about those issues - one of them had a really hard time getting a visa for the helper to Australia too. I didn't hear the whole conversation (wasn't really listening) but I did make a mental note about it because one of them said that you really needed to do it months in advance to make sure that it would be able to happen... I'm Australian but have never taken my helper back with me - I would like to in the future if I was going back without my husband, but I am aware that it can be quite difficult to do so. Would love more info, please let us know how it all goes!!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

I have had friends who have had applications declined since the rules changed a little in July. I was just given a one month visa for my helper to accompany us at Xmas. I just explained in the application form and in an accompanying letter that she is holidaying with us and would not be expected to perform domestic chores.
    Posted via Mobile Device

sparkles72 is offline Registered User

You know I did that, wrote the letter, filled in the paper work but there were no one month visa's available - maybe they have changed it again, we spent $1600 in application fees - v annoying, but I think the fact that we have a toddler and I am expecting twins weighed against us.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

There was only a three month box to tick on the form but we were given a one month visa. I have a newborn, 2 year old and 4 year old so it shouldn't be too different?
    Because our helper has been with us in the past I was able to include photos of her with koalas, kangaroos, at the beach etc from previous holidays. So that was obviously in our favour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast