Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Education Help/Direction

rebekah is offline Registered User

Education Help/Direction

It appears our short term assignment will go permanent. it's not 100% yet, but heading that way as we come to terms on a few details.

My daughter was born here, but we returned to the US for almost 2 years and have just come back, so I missed all the mommy conversations on education. Of course this is the month that everything seems to be due for registrations and I would like a bit of direction. Here are the details:

I believe we will be living in Quarry Bay/Tai Koo/Sai Wan Ho, Zoë will be 3 in May 2011, No corporate debenture unless employee is a director/MD (he's not yet) currently English speaking only.

Is ESF the only affordable option or are there others I should be considering? Would also be interested in hearing about some playgroups that she could start before 10 months down the road, but have signed her up for a gym class and need to get around to a kindermusic before long, so that isn't a priority.

Thanks!
    Rebekah

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

If by permanent, you mean really permanent and not just 2 years then I would encourage you to consider sending the little one to a Cantonese kindergarten for a few years. Very easy for a little one to pickup the extra language, its very affordable and she will have a whole new set of options open to her.

HC

Not at all opposed to this idea but the idea of going through registration without understanding forms, etc. and not knowing where to start is a bit overwhelming. If you have any direction in this, please let me know.

carang is offline Registered User

it's not really that difficult. forms? all in english & chinese, so you shouldn't have any problem there either. why not check out the EDB website, if you are interested in the "alternative"- local education. we did and are happy with it so far.

carang is offline Registered User

forgot to say: if you have a HKID, then you are eligible to apply for the pre-primary voucher scheme. only some kindergartens are part of the scheme (you can find a list of them on the edb website) and the gov't subsidises your kindergarten fees. my two kids currently go to a local kindergarten for a 1/2 day each. we pay NOTHING for it!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rebekah View Post
    Not at all opposed to this idea but the idea of going through registration without understanding forms, etc. and not knowing where to start is a bit overwhelming. If you have any direction in this, please let me know.
    I sent 3 kids thru Lingnan : http://www.lingnanp.edu.hk
    All 3 are now fluent in Cantonese and I would recommend the place highly; small classes, nice environment, caring teachers. Call them and arrange a visit. They will be quite helpful.

HC

thanks! will look into these options too. appreciate the input.