Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

2-year old doesn't point

bendou is offline Registered User

2-year old doesn't point

My daughter just turned 2. She's an otherwise happy child, laughs a lot, likes to play peekaboo, likes music, likes to dance and watch cartoons, eats and sleeps very well. But what worries me is that she seems unable to make the connection between things and words. For example, I'd put a flashcard with a tiger and a lion on it in front of her and point out to her: "this is a tiger, that's a lion." But when I ask her: "Now tell Mommy, which one is the tiger?" She never points. She either grabs the flashcard or runs away. I have been trying for several months, but she still hasn't been able to associate a word with the thing it represents. On the other hand, she knows to point at something when she wants me to get it for her. But her seeming inability to make the connection between a concrete thing and the word/sound that represents it really worries me. Shouldn't she have been able to do so by age 2? Should I take her to see a doctor?

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

From how you describe it, it is not necessarily that she doesn't know what the picture represents, but that she is exercising her authority by not pointing at it, because she knows you want her too! (The fact that she takes the card and runs away). Fairly typical 2 year old behaviour I would think. She clearly CAN point as you say she does when she wants something. Personally I wouldn't be concerned if this is the only thing you are worried about in her development (which is soulnds like it is) and I certainly wouldn't take her to the doctor just for this, but as you are concerned maybe next time you are seeing him/her or maternal health nurse you can ask about it ánd hopefully get some reassurance.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

quite agree with TNT.

bendou is offline Registered User

Thanks for your responses. I am worried because of her seeming inability to associate a word with a concrete thing, as such, I have not been able to teach her to recognize any written word or number. Is this normal?

My son at age 2 could recognize many words and numbers. For example, after I showed him a card with "comb" on it and told him what it meant, when I showed him that card again, he'd say "comb" and point at his own comb. That showed he understood it. He could also recognize about 20 numbers. If you asked him "where is 12?" He'd pick up the card with 12 on it. Again that showed he understood it.

But with my daughter, I have never been able to get her to understand that the "12" printed on a card means the same thing as the "twelve" I'm saying. She seems unable to make the connection between my words and the things I'm pointing at. Is that normal for a two-year old?

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

It is totally normal, especially as she had just turned 2. Every child is different -see my thoughts above.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

honestly... if it were happening across the board i would be slightly worried to. but if it is just flash cards and she is able to "associate" words otherwise then it might not be a problem. it's very tough to get a wholistic picture on a forum.

if you are very worried i think it would be better to take a pead's opinion. parent's should follow their instincts. all the best.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

Good points shucishingh, agree!

sherwes is offline Registered User

Is it only the flash cards that she has trouble with or is she failing to recognize any object? For instance does she have a favorite Teddy or stuffed animal? If you said "where is (insert name of favorite teddy/stuffed animal)?" would she point to it? if so, I wouldn't be concerned. It's possible that she just enjoys running away with the flash cards and being chased by you more than she enjoys getting the answer right.