Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Has any one hired directly?

lalila is offline Registered User

Has any one hired directly?

Hi has any westerns hired directly from the philippines would you recommend this and have hired from HK to compare what are the pros and cons?

thanks

yonge is offline Registered User

I hired my first 6 years ago based on a recommendation from my friend, a former Filipino helper. Took her on sight unseen without checking her references because I trusted my friend. I used an agency to help facilitate the paperwork, which was really not necessary at the time, but I'm sure if rules may have changed to complicate things (see consulate hurdles below). I would say that the main pro was that I didn't have to pay high agency fees to source a helper for me, but the main con is that a referral doesn't necessarily mean that she would be a good match for me and my family. We parted ways after 2 years.

However, my second and current one, was based on a recommendation from a family friend, who was also her employer for seven years. I hired her first in Singapore and have transferred her to join me in Hong Kong twice already. However, as she is Indonesian, I have to use an agent in Hong Kong anyway, because the Indonesian embassy here does not want to endorse a domestic worker contract directly with an employer, preferring to refer you to an agent. The agent will charge a fee, of which a certain amount will go back to the embassy. The amount is obviously higher than what the embassy would get for a straightforward endorsement with the employer. This endorsement, and related fee, is required even for a renewal of contract for an Indonesia foreign domestic worker already in Hong Kong.

Here is the list of the documents that the Indonesian embassy would require you to obtain if you were to obtain the endorsement yourself:

Documents that required for processing renew contract without agency for the same employer
    1. New employment contract signed by employer, domestic helper and two witnesses.
    2. Application letter from employer containing the reason for renew her employment contract without going through an agency.
    3. Copy of employer’s Hong Kong ID Card.
    4. Employer’s guarantee statement has to be made at and before the notary public in Hong Kong contain the matter as determined by the Indonesian Consulate General.
    5. Recent photo of domestic helper and employer (one photo for each person, size: passport photo).
    6. Copy of domestic helper’s Hong Kong ID Card.
    7. Copy of domestic helper’s valid passport and valid working visa.
    8. Health statement letter from doctor attached with the medical check-up report.
    9. Statement letter from parent/guardian or husband (for married status) containing no objection for the domestic helper to extend her employment contract without agency (attached with her parent/guardian or husband’s copy of Indonesian ID Card and Family Card which has been legalized by Village/ District Head).
    10. Domestic helper has to send a letter by Registered Post to an Indonesian agency informing that she is renewing her contract without Hong Kong agency. (Attached the proof of letter posting and copy of her letter).
    11. Domestic helper insurance policy.
    12. Old employment contract (copy and original).
    13. Legalization fee amounting HK$320.

Note that #9 and #10 are waived if you use an agent. The main pro here is that I didn't need to pay an agent 7 months' salary to source the helper for me. The Indonesian consulate actually asked me why I was transferring an existing helper as opposed to hiring a new one and pushed me hard to hire a new one instead of answering all my questions about transferring my existing one. I got the sense that the kick-back to the consulate for a new helper would have been much higher. Also, my current helper is a great match for me and my family. The only con is dealing with the Indonesian consulate for every transfer/renewal, but fortunately, I found an honest agent that is willing to charge me a fairly small sum above the kickback to the consulate for facilitating the paperwork.

If you're comfortable with the person that you've identified to proceed directly and she's already here in Hong Kong, has worked in Hong Kong before and has a HKID, it should be pretty easy for you, barring any hurdles from the helper's consulate. Therefore, the first order of business is getting your contract endorsed by the helper's consulate. If you don't have any trouble there, then the HK Immigration Department is completely indifferent whether you use an agent or not.

matemate is offline Registered User

we hired directly from PH through Arrows Agency and were very happy

lalila is offline Registered User

thank you guys
    how did you find it was it first time hiring a helper and did you have to trained her with everything hygiene western way food etc etc or what she ok

yonge is offline Registered User

I think it really depends on the individual. Some take feedback better than others. Some can retain information better than others. It also depends if there are any language issues and her level of eduction attained. If this is her first domestic helper job, be prepared to spend at three to six months of fairly intense training - daily feedback, demonstrating to her how to do things, getting an intermediary to help interpret, making sure she's taking notes, etc. Good luck!