Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Where does your newborn sleep?

yonge is offline Registered User

Tried everything. With number 1, I couldn't sleep in the same room with him, because I would hear every squeak and sigh that he made. Even hearing him on the monitor would wake me up instantly. My mother would sleep on the guest bed in the same room with him and come over with him when it was time to feed him at night. It worked at that time as my husband was almost always out of town during that time. I would switch on the monitor only on those nights when he was home. We did this for three months, then we moved his cot into our room from 3-6 months when we discovered that the wallpaper in his room in our rental apartment was moldy and we couldn't get it cleaned. By then, he was less noisy and I think I was also less nervous.

With number 2, I moved into the guest bed in the same room as he was far less noisy. I stayed with him there for 6 months. My poor husband really missed me, but I was really anxious with number 2 because of his reflux, so sometimes, I would need to clean up after him after he spit up.

With number 3, we have the crib next to my side of the bed in our room. He's been pretty good, waking only twice in the middle of the night and again in the morning when my husband gets ready for work, so it hasn't been too bad.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Oh yeah, those noisy newborns!
    For my first, he slept in a baby hammock right next to be as i breastfed... a lot. He stayed til 6 months and then I moved him into his own room, and we both got a better sleep, somewhat at least.
    For the new one coming, we are in a new flat with a bigger bed so things are a bit cramped in our room now. She will sleep next to me in the hammock but definitely not as long as her brother did, no way. I will then move her into her own room. I was thinking of having her share with her big bro but I don't think this is so fair for him, and he usually sleeps through, so it might be disruptive. Just hope little sis doesn't mind half her bedroom being anstorage area. I want to move her after about 2 months, sooner if at all possible. Just so I can open the wardrobe doors doors again:)

pipinhk is offline Registered User

The recommentation in the UK is that they sleep in the same room as you for the first 6 months to reduce the risk of SIDS (cot death). We kept our baby in our room until she was jut over 6 months but ny then we were all desperate to get her in to her own room, but I still feel better having had her in with us until then, although I couldn't have coped with her in the bed with us, she was and still is too much of a wriggler!

oi0io is offline Registered User

We had our son in a bassinet in our room for the first 2 months. When he turned 3 months, we moved him to his own room and crib.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

They each slept in their own room in a cot from day one. Everyone has a different view on it so you should do what feels right for you. Personally, I am not a fan of co-sleeping (as in having the baby in bed with you) for fear of rolling on them and suffocating them. I had enough crazy post-delivery dreams of the baby being in bed with us and suffocating under the blankets and neither of them ever slept there!

PS I took a lot of comfort in having a motion sensitive baby monitor. When I had my crazy "baby in bed with us" dreams, I could look at the light on the monitor and see if flash every time the baby moved/breathed. Ours was a Tomy Tippee one and it was excellent.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Our baby slept in the room with us in a bassinet nearby our bed for the first 6 weeks. We weren't living in our own house but staying with friends and family. When we came back to Hong Kong, our son ended up sleeping our bed with us for about 3-4 weeks because the weather was so cold and we only had one heater to keep us all warm. But, we then discovered that the child is an absolute bed hog--even at only about 3 months old he had both of us pushed to the corner of the bed and about to roll off onto the floor! He also kicks and flails while he sleeps. So, we just couldn't sleep all together. He moved to his own bed and I had to get up to feed him (partially breastfeeding, partially feeding breastmilk by bottle and then much later formula) every 2 hours or less all night long and it was awful because I really didn't get any quality sleep for about 5 1/2 months--that's when my son started sleeping through the night. But, anyway, my son has slept in his own room, in his own crib/bed since he was 3-months-old with few exceptions and it works really well for us. We never used a baby monitor as my son's room was so close to ours and with the doors open we could hear him well.

LOJITT is offline Registered User

My son slept in the carrycot in our room for the first 4 weeks and then in the carrycot in his own room for another 2 weeks, and then in the cot in his own room.

When we have the next one I'll do own room from Day 1 I think as we all sleep much better and it instantly lengthened the time he'd go before a night feed by an hour.

The theory behind having baby in your room is that the baby regulates it's own breathing from yours and therefore reduces the risk of SIDS. However, it is just a theory and not sure it would work in HK with air con and dehumidifiers running all the time :-)

If you're really worried, you can get a baby monitor with a mattress sensor which detects breathing and sets off an alarm if it cant detect it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12