Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nursing larger babies in public

southside852 is offline Registered User

Nursing larger babies in public

I am nursing/pumping my 11 week year old son. For the most part I've never had to nurse in public. The only time so far I've had to nurse directly was in the doctor's clinic where they had a feeding station with a chair, pillow etc...I tried once nursing while out at the museum with older son but my son was so heavy to bring up to my breast with one arm and he wasn't latching on properly.

My son is now over 7kg (over 16 lbs) and I am wondering how mother's nurse outside their home environment where they have their nursing pillow, supportive chair/stool etc... Any suggestions? Do I bring a small pillow with me while out for emergency feedings?

Thanks!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I always nursed without a pillow when I was out with my daughter - one thing that does give a bit of support is if you can get one of the armchairs at a coffee store, or some breastfeeding rooms also have armchairs. I never really used a pillow - I found it more annoying than helpful, even when my daughter was heavier. I have also heard of babies becoming reliant on them as well - and I didn't want that.

Could you use your hand bag? Maybe through a baby blanket over it to make it a bit softer?

I wouldn't want to be taking a pillow all over the place - and sometimes it is a necessity to have to feed when you are out... so maybe try to improvise a little?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

You don't need to raise the whole baby when breastfeeding in public. You can actually kind of sit your baby on your lap, and just bring his head to your breast. Use you arm to support his head and back while nursing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

baffelly is offline Registered User

I sometimes fold up the baby blanket or my jacket as a pillow under baby's head
    Posted via Mobile Device

pixelelf is offline Registered User

I used to put my baby in a low sling and breastfeeding while I walked around. Takes the weight off. Once he was able to fit into ergo or baby Bjorn I would lower the straps and breastfeed him either sitting down or walking around too. I find it easier than sitting on an arm chair in public.
    Posted via Mobile Device

all great suggestions - thanks everyone! will try the ergo and using my diaper bag as a pillow.

geomum is offline Registered User

You don't "essentially" need a pillow to breastfeed a baby, I breastfed my daughter for 16 months and now breastfeeding my son since 10 months never needed one at home or outside. And I have breastfed pratically everywhere across Hong Kong. Do you think women all the around the world carry pillows with them if they have to feed the baby? Cross your legs and put the baby in your lap, put one arm around the baby and hold your breast with the other... simple isn't it?

Last edited by geomum; 12-25-2010 at 05:21 PM.

yes, in theory it's simple...i've tried just crossing my legs, but i find it quite difficult. maybe i'm just not as coordinated as others as i just find my son to be so heavy that i like the support of the pillow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast