Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Dr.?

Siki is offline Registered User

Good Dr.?

Hello.
    Im 11 weeks and 6 days pregnant and looing for a doctor in Hong Kong (did my first tests at home(Europe)).
    I dont have HK ID yet, but Im getting it soon.
    Im looking for oppinions about public and also private doctors. Money isnt a big problem, but dont see a point to pay a lot of money, if i can go and visit a good doctor in public hospital.

Thank you all for your answers :)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

You can just go to any private doctor first and get an official confirmation of your pregnancy. Then, when you get your hkid, you can call your local MCHC (maternal and child health centre), which is the public clinic, and they will schedule your first appointment for you, if you choose to go local. If you don't mind a no-frills system, and seeing different doctors each time(or basically seeing no docs most of the time unless you have some complications), and basically you don't want to be in any way coddled during your pregnancy or birth, then the public system might work for ulu. Otherwise, I would research private hospitals (lots of previous threads on this website) and then find a doc who delivers there and start going to them and then make a booking at that private hospital. Hk is a bit funny about it though, and people book up beds in the popular hospitals quite quickly. A lot of people do both, combine public and private care, as well as nook a private bed, and stay register with a public hospital. Just to keep their options open,

charade is offline Registered User

I've just written a long note about my experience at United Christian Hospital (public) which you might find useful. I also did consultations with a private doctor but ended up switching doctors in between because I wanted someone closer to home and ended up confusedly oscillating between doctors so can't help there.

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Dr So Wai Lam, William is not bad, speak both Cantonese and English. His clinic is at Mongkok, Kowloon. He is attached to Baptist Hospital (private hospital). Government hospital is not a wise choice for those who can't speak Cantonese, most of the staff and nurses in govenrment only speak Cantonese.

alfa is offline Registered User

All depends on the hospital. Qeen Mary is an excellent hospital if you decide to go public but for that you need to live on HK island I believe.
    As for private doctors - some onlydeliver in certain hospitals. I aws with dr Doo for both of my pregnancies and I found him excellent - great bedside manner and I was able to contact him at all hours.
    He only delivers in Matilda tho. Other popular choices among my friends were dr Patric Chan, Grace Chung and edmund Ho. I hear more and more good things about Patrick Chan .
    It's a very personal choice tho. If you decide to go private then register asap as most people get rejected if they wait till 12 weeks.
    If you go public but want more visits/scans then just do as Scheznifer suggests and see the doc privately and then go public.
    Good luck

mariac is offline Registered User

Hi Siki, it depends on what you're looking for in your doctor and what your hopes and expectations are for delivery. I've tried quite a number of private ob-gyns in HK now and can give you some recommendations if you give me an idea of what you look for in a doctor.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

I was with Dr. Patrick Chan and cannot speak highly enough of him! Wonderful bedside manners and the quality of care I had was fantastic. He has to meet Australian and German standards in both areas. I'm unsure about the German standards (as it's my husbands' pov) but he made my wonderful OBGYN in Sydney look 'bad' Prices are also very reasonable and he'll never rush you through an appointment. Appointments were fairly easy to get but he has gotten really really popular so I'm not sure. And, he's one of the few around who don't mind it if you chose to deliver in the public hospital and would not treat you differently.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mavislohsp View Post
    Dr So Wai Lam, William is not bad, speak both Cantonese and English. His clinic is at Mongkok, Kowloon. He is attached to Baptist Hospital (private hospital). Government hospital is not a wise choice for those who can't speak Cantonese, most of the staff and nurses in govenrment only speak Cantonese.
    Hmm..it might be different once you're admitted into hospital to have your baby, but the only person I have encountered in the clinics and hospitals who hasn't spoken English was some kind of admin lady who organizes people in the MCHC. And the cleaners.
    I delivered my last in China, and less than 50% of the staff spoke basic English, but it was actually fine. If I really needed it, they found someone who could speak it. hK is pretty good for English, particularly in the health services. I wouldn't make it a consideration in choosing public or private.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top