Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

any technics for ESF interview?

corawong is offline Registered User

any technics for ESF interview?

I got an interview letter by ESF but it marks "parent presentation" during coming interview, who know how it is going on? For children, ESF requires a group interview, who know how it is as well? Thanks.

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User

we got one too.

peainpod is offline Registered User

I'm not sure I understand your question. Is your ESF interview letter for ESF Kindergarten or is it for ESF Primary. From what I've heard, the "interview" for ESF kindergarten is merely pro-forma and is mainly to establish that your child is a native Eng speaker and does not have any learning disabilities that the school may be unable to cope with. On the other hand, an ESF Primary 1 interview will involve more "interviewing" (ie. questions directed at the child etc.)

While both interviews are done in a group format, parents are allowed to accompany the child for the kindergarten interview but for the P-1, I believe the children have to go at it alone.

Hope this helps.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

if its for ESF kinder, then kids and parents will go into a classroom where the teachers will assess the children's english capabilities and observe them in a classroom environment. Altho no mandatory to go alone, there is a part where the parents are invited to tour the school and the kids have to stay in the classroom - in some cases both parents went out and the kid is alone, in some cases one parent remains with the child. Because they stress that ESF teaches in English, I note that kids who don't speak English well may not be able to get in. But rest assured its all very informal and relaxed.

Portia is offline Registered User

Even the Primary 1 interview is also just to establish that the child has sufficient English to cope with an ESF school and no special needs that the school cannot handle, so definitely not going to be a problem if you are a native English speaker. At the parents' info session that I went to regarding the Primary 1 interviews, the school said not to coach your child, not to bribe your child (eg if you do well, I'll buy you XXX) and not to dress them up in a suit.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    Even the Primary 1 interview is also just to establish that the child has sufficient English to cope with an ESF school and no special needs that the school cannot handle, so definitely not going to be a problem if you are a native English speaker. At the parents' info session that I went to regarding the Primary 1 interviews, the school said not to coach your child, not to bribe your child (eg if you do well, I'll buy you XXX) and not to dress them up in a suit.
    You went to Glenealy? I had never heard of those information evenings. My daughter's school doesn't do them, but my friend told me about hers this week!

ESF is fairly informal (checking level of English and social skills) however, with the huge waiting lists at these moments, they can be slightly more picky. But on the other hand, ESF does cater for a wide range of individual and special needs and the mix is usually very good. They're not looking specifically for children who can already read and write, etc.

geomum is offline Registered User

How do they establish in kindergarten interview that the child has good English? Some children aren't incredibly chatty, even when asked a question they are shy and reluctant to answer.

Portia is offline Registered User

Yes, the parent's info session for Glenealy was on Tues night. The whole process is very transparent and they even showed a slide show of what would happen in a typical interview.

They told us they are basically looking at receptive and expressive English skills and readiness to start Primary 1. But even those who are not ready to start are usually reconsidered in the next year, so it's not usually an outright rejection because they recognise that some children (they said especially boys, first-born and born in Nov/Dec) need more time to mature. They also explained the lengths they will go to to get a language sample (usually a visit to the kindie to see the child in his/her usual setting) because some children won't say a single word at the interview.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast