Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bored beyond imagination...

mummymoo is offline Registered User

I agree with thanka2 and carang's comments. The transience of expats here, the fact that people in different financial brackets don't tend to mingle (from my own observations, this seems to be due to the fact that people tend to be more 'calculative' here, and may want something from you....networking is a huge thing here....my experience anyway....and also people here don't like to lose face so are unlikely to hang out with those with much more money than they have....comparing is a huge thing here) and the fact that people are always in a rush and busy to do....what.....I'm not sure (because back home everyone seemed to manage to do all the tasks of daily living) make forming deeply rooted attachments very difficult. I'm a little bit more fortunate as we have a few friends from uni from home who relocated here before we did. Having said that I have made a few great friends through geobaby whom I see regularly with our children, and I think we will be friends for a long time, even if they leave. Good luck!

jada511 is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies,
    Your words of advice and things you have been thru really help. I don't need to work but I married and quit my dream job and moved here all within one month and I guess I'm still reeling over the fact that I worked to hard to get that job and now i'm doing nothing. I do believe my bigger obstacle here is making friendships as having no family here and few friends makes it hard to really want to stay, especially thinking of the small support system when baby comes. I love making friends but just don't do so very easily, I'm very friendly but have a hard time making initial small talk with people I don't know and am a bit shy. I'm in pre-natal yoga but I like the idea of the volunteering or joining social groups. Thanks again ladies, your words of advice help a lot :)

anotherone is offline Registered User

Carang, that's exactly my story! Always amazes me (and makes me smile) when I find others who share that same expeience, depsite our varying backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i've been here for almost 16 years and although i've met so many people, and made some very close friendships...they are VERY difficult to maintain. hk is such a transient city (for expats) that just when i think i've made a great friend, they up and leave! (i mean, how dare they?!?!?! LOL). it has happened at least 4-5 times over my time here and it really gets exhausting finding the time to be able to meet new people and pursue the friendship. that mixed with thanka's observation about mixing with different financial brackets...extremely difficult when you are on the lower scale, moreso than when you are in the top bracket. i still have friends from all tax brackets; from people who work for their church (friends from church have given them a good deal on rent) to someone who is a house-husband (wife's work provides $70K+/month for housing....)

it can be frustrating, exhausting etc...but if you have time on your hands, then i'd say make the most of it! forget working...being pregnant already plus your VERY extended mat-leave requirements would make it virtually impossible...use your time to get out and about... join clubs, take classes, take up pregnancy yoga, children's first aid (preparing for your new arrival)...whatever your heart desires... you just may meet some very interesting people along the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12