Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby's head not growing hair due to suction

taysty is offline Registered User

Baby's head not growing hair due to suction

Hi all, i'm new to this forum. I need advice or experience on delivery by suction. I just deliver a baby last year. She is now turning 4 months.

I had epidural at that time and after several push the baby didnt come out as hope. Had to use suction to deliver my baby due to an emergency. When came out, my baby had a bump on her head which recovered next day. However, her head still bruise and the shape is like a crescent moon due to the suction cup used. The scalp of the bruise had came off about 2 weeks later. We had brought her to the pediatric and he said the scar on her head might or might not disappear/recovered. Now the "crescent moon" shrink and new scalp appear and all we can do is apply baby oil to soften it so that the scalp will fall off again. Now after nearly 3 months, almost recovered. However, there's isnt any hair growing yet. Though i know that when the scalp fell off, it is push up and had hair attached to it. But as a mum, i'm still worried, how long she is going hairless on that "crescent moon"?

Any mummies out there with similar experiences? Can you all please share?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If it is a true scar, the hair may never grow there.

My daughter has a similar thing - she had a pressure sore from some bandages right next to her ear, and where the sore was, the hair is not growing. (she's 5 months and the sore was from when she was about a month old).

Most scars do not grow hair in them - my sister split her head open when she was about 2-3 and the hair never grew back where the scar was, She has another scar on her eyebrow from when she was only about a year old, and again, the eyebrow hair never grew there again.

I know that's not the answer that you want to hear, but if she's got hair growing everywhere EXCEPT for the scar, chances are the hair may not grow back on the scar. But as her hair grows longer, I'm sure that you won't even notice it anyway.

Thank you for your reply. Guess i need to prepare for the worse now, just hope that her hair grew faster to cover up. But i know this is not going to happen soon. As she takes after her dad for thin and fine hair. Will need to invest on buying hats. I'm pretty sick of explaining what happen to her head if you know what i mean? All relatives wanted us to sue the OB for this result. But i think it is what it is.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i feel for you...sometimes i want to sue the OB for my daughter being slow...delivered with meconium aspiration and was critical for 10days. anyhow, can only look forward. i'm sure your daughter will grow up fine. maybe she'll even grow up love wearing hats even though everything is covered up!

@ nicolejoy
    I check out your blog, you've got 2 lovely girls. I should post a profile pic for my girl too.

@ lesliefu
    Sorry that my english is poor. What is meconium aspiration? Is it laughing gas? Yes, you're right, we all should look forward. Honestly, i blame myself that my baby ends up like that. But i was quite tired from back pain for more than 12 hours. I'm kicking myself for not getting a c-section. But then again, who knows what will happen for a c-section? I think i'm on the verge of post-natal depression when my girl is born. I had a miscarriage before, then i went thru a few treatments then IUI to get conceive. I always envy those mums that get conceive easily. But then i keep on telling myself that there must be other mums out there that been thru so much more than me.

Hope our babies/toddlers grew up healthy and happy always.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

We also had to use the vaccuum during my son's birth, and he had for a while some scalp, which took about 3 to 4 months to disappear. Though it doesn't seem to be exactly the same problem as yours, my son had no problem to grow hair on this area, but as he had very thin and clear hair, it took look to cover it up.
    If it should really bother her later, there is always some solution, like hair implants.
    There is nothing to be ashamed of, could be worse and it will never prevent your child to be someone special. I love these little marks... scars, birth marks... that's what make them different from all the others ;)

@ Frenchy

Deep inside my heart, i'm not convinced. Becoz when the scalp fell off at 2nd week, it had heaps of hair attached to it, and there's hair remaining on her head too. Then, the 2nd layer of scalp formed, and fell with hair, then now, no hair on this particular area.

Anyway, you're right, there's hair implant. I console myself that my baby girl is born special.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My daughter also had vacuum delivery but had no complications from it.

I personally think that the vacuum delivery was more for their convenience than because she NEEDED it. With my first daughter, the pushing stage was very slow (about an hour or so) - but with my second, because of the complications, they needed many more doctors/pediatricians etc at the delivery. They pretty much insisted on vacuum delivery after only maybe 15-20 minutes of pushing.

And meconium aspiration is when the baby poos while she is still in the womb, and then often some of that can get into the lungs causing an infection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast