Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How to stop baby sucking/eating her fingers/fist

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    My boy is 2 and still sucking his thumb. I get comments nearly every day from the locals, always have. I don't mind so much, but apparently it's a real no-no here. I don't see too many Chinese kids sucking their thumbs.
    You know what I don't get? That is SUCH a no-no here, but locals often give their kids bottles until they are MUCH older than that! I've seen kids having bottles in public in the middle of the day at even as old as FOUR or so!! I think that's MUCH "worse" personally. In western countries, a child is generally weaned from the bottle at the latest by two, and if it goes on later than that, it would be maybe one bottle a day right before bed. I don't get the discrepancy... I'd much rather a two year old thumb sucker than an older child still dependent on bottles!

taysty is offline Registered User

@ blessed

Your son might be teething. For my case, there's a break through in gums when she not even 3 months. We only found out when she doesn't want to drink much, very moody and chew her fist to sleep.
    Posted via Mobile Device

@ nicolejoy

Good job on pointing out. That leads me to another question how old to wean off formula milk? I know of one still giving formula when more than 4 years old.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Most Westerners do it between the age of 1-2 - they will transition to cows milk instead. Over here though they make formula for kids up until five or so!!

I don't think it's an issue whether you give formula or cows milk - but I do think that a BOTTLE past 1-2 years old is not great. Besides it's not good for their teeth... Giving it in a cup would be much better for them - regardless of whether it's formula milk or cows milk.

(that said, neither is a pacifier and I'm still working on getting my two year old off that!! I think I need to just go cold turkey one day and stick to it...)

carang is offline Registered User

i think i really was lucky... my son didn't suck either thumb or pacifier. my daughter, though, was so dependent on the pacifier that if we went out and forgot it at home, we had to buy a new one! but one day, just at 20 months old, she said, "NO! NO DUMMY!" and that was it! she refused to take one after that, no matter how much i wished she would (crying and screaming at bedtime etc).... she was exactly the same with toilet training. she was a little older than her brother (like, almost a year older than he was when he was trained)...one day at 3yrs, that was it. no more nappies. "NO! I'M A BIG GIRL! ONLY BABIES WEAR NAPPIES!" and that was it... no more nappies!

@ carang

How lucky you are! :)

@ nicolejoy

I think cold turkey is the way to quit your girl off pacifier. I quit when my uncle threw it off the window and tell me, that's it, no more pacifier for you. I must admit i hated him for some time. LOL

My sister had the pacifier til she was three! And my mother told her that she wasn't allowed to have a barbie doll that she wanted because they were for big girls - and when she was a big girl and threw out her dummy, she could have a barbie doll. One day my sister just decided that was enough, she wanted the barbie more than the dummy and so she threw out the dummy. My mum went and got her a barbie the same day, but for my sister it was a good deal and she didn't want the dummy any more after that ;)

I actually started to take the dummy away from my daughter before - we went without it for 24 hours, but then (bad coincidence), she got really sick at the same time and NOTHING would settle her. She was crying for something like three hours straight! So we gave in and gave it back. I think that she would do "ok" without her dummy but she does really love them...

(off topic, sorry!!)

kakeo00 is offline Registered User

my bb also start sucking her fingers when she is 3 or 4 months. people told me let them do it as they feel secure. i wonder. and they could do it til 3 or 4 yrs old. well, i am not amaze.

no sign of teeth for mine. maybe i will do some teething biscuits later on.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast