Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Preschool

oahu_2011 is offline Registered User

Preschool

I am new on geobaby. We are currently in HI but planning to move to HK in 2-3 months with a 12 mo daughter and a dog. I have so many questions but want to start by asking your feedback on preschool options. I have never been to HK so any tips are appreciated.
    Things that I am looking for:
    - Preschool that is considered a "feeder school" to good private schools.
    - International focus so that if we decided to go back to the US, it would be an easy transition
    - in the tung chung area

Thanks!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Good luck with the move, you have found the right social network to help you settle in!

I can't talk a lot about the US system but many schools here use International Baccalaureate which is a global education program and most universities take recognize the program...

Under Hong Kong law, a child can start Primary 1 in September if they are turning 5 by 31 December that year. And Pre-school in September if they are 2 years 8 months.

I can't talk about the Tung Chung schools as I live in Discovery Bay but do a search and you will find many playgroups and the like in TC that you could look into. My daughter went to Sunshine House which was a Canadian school curriculum and they have a campus in TC.

Finally, as soon as you confirm your living arrangments, put your kids on waiting lists for schools where ever you can as it is VERY hard to get places, even in the second tier schools and many third their too.!

Cheers

carang is offline Registered User

there are not many "feeder" schools. if you go to an ESF kindergarten you are NOT guaranteed to get into their primary schools (AFAIK).

there IS Hong Kong International School that follows an american curriculum, but it is nowhere near Tung Chung, rather it is on HK island, near Tai Tam.

There is also the American International School in Kowloon Tong, which is a little more easily accessible from Tung Chung.

You would have to check to see if these two schools have school buses to Tung Chung.

Something else you should note: school places are EXTREMELY hard to come by. Just because you choose a school does not mean that they will choose you. I would see if you/your husband's job offer includes any kind of school debenture to move you up the school places waiting list...

Thanks guys for the details! I am already worried that we would not get our first choice... I know we have time to prep but I guess it's a good idea to get our daughter on the wait list asap. Are there prepatory classes and schools that prepare kids to get into private schools? (kinder) I have heard that EFS and Canadian int'l national school are good. Any other tips that you have for a new comer like myself? Thanks again for your input!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

you can't start school at ESF and Canadian until 5...before that like carang says the pre-school run by ESF does not guarantee a spot at the ESF primary school. i would see when the applications are due and try to get one in whilst you wait to get an interview.

you can consider IMS (international montessori school)- they have a campus in the mid-levels, which would be slightly closer than HKIS (tai tam - south of HK island) and canadian (also south of island)...mid-levels is more centrally located - i'm not sure about how the school bus would work out...i recall HKIS had one to Kowloon tong for people in the Kowloon side, but even they did not have a lot of buses catering that side of HK as most students lived on HK island.

if you drive, then taking the western tunnel you will arrive 10mins away from the mid-level area...if you take the train, there is a direct train to Central and you can take a taxi up should be closer than the rest of the schools. IMS is bilingual and quite popular too.

Rleejoy is offline Registered User

I suggest Woodland Repulse Bay : )

Portia is offline Registered User

Canadian Intl has pre-reception class, so you can start from approx 3 years if you can get a place. It's very competitive to get in and there are interviews.

thanks to all of you for your helpful tips. with your tips and based om my initial research, i came up with the following list of pre-schools that i am considering for my daughter (13 monts old now). any comments on any of these schools?

- Greenfield (Tung Chung)
    - Sunshine House Int'l (Tung Chung)
    - Sun Island Education (Tung Chung) -- more geared towards non-international kids?
    - Woodland (not in Tung Chung?)
    - Int'l Mont. school (not in Tung Chung?)

Also, for schools like Canadian Int'l, are they accepting applications all year around? (i.e. for my daughter, she would not be ready until school year 2013, but could i still submit her application now to get on the wait list?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast