Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is everyone up to for the chinese new year?

carang is offline Registered User

i DID go to OP ONCE, about 9 years ago over CNY.... my cousin waited for mcd's for over an hour to get something to eat... the rides, forget it... you'd be lucky to have 2 rides all day...if you like spending hours waiting in line, then go. if not, stay well clear of OP & Disney...

when Disney first opened, they sold out of tickets over CNY...mainlanders were scaling the fence to get in! it was ridiculous!

you REALLY couldn't pay me enough to go over the holiday! remember, mainlanders get an entire week off and lots of them travel during that time... many to HK...

carang is offline Registered User

here's the link to the news from 2006 when the fence-scaling happened...

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...06026_2086.htm

rani is offline Administrator

Was in TST over the weekend, and had to pop into Watsons to pick up a couple of things. The only customers were mainlanders and they were buying cases of chocolates, and there was only 1 cashier open!!! Watsons needs a quick lane for less than 10 items.

AmyH is offline Registered User

Cheers, you have saved me! I hadn't mentioned it to the children yet, so now I won't bother. I think I just assumed that most people head over to the mainland during new years and it would be quiet but now it gives me an extra day to organise the clutter!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    thanka: that nesting instinct has kicked in, has it?
    Yes, this has been building for weeks and weeks to the point where I literally can't stand it anymore! The house must be cleaned! Just in time for Chinese New Year too. I'm sooooo traditional. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

lalila is offline Registered User

ohh goodness we where going to take our son to OP thank you for saving us we made the mistake and took him to flower market yesterday took an hour to find a taxi to come back to HK side ,....... lol can you tell we are fairly new to HK lol :)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i DID go to OP ONCE, about 9 years ago over CNY.... my cousin waited for mcd's for over an hour to get something to eat... the rides, forget it... you'd be lucky to have 2 rides all day...if you like spending hours waiting in line, then go. if not, stay well clear of OP & Disney...

when Disney first opened, they sold out of tickets over CNY...mainlanders were scaling the fence to get in! it was ridiculous!

you REALLY couldn't pay me enough to go over the holiday! remember, mainlanders get an entire week off and lots of them travel during that time... many to HK...
    Totally agree with Cara. I'm not even brave enough to go to Ocean Park on the weekends now because of the hoardes of Mainland Chinese people there. We did go over a weekend in November--on a Sunday because it was my husband's birthday and he got in free, my son was just barely under 3-years-old so he got in free and we redeemed Park n' Shop points for a free ticket for me.

It was utter madness! I'm glad that my husband's friend who lives in Aberdeen volunteered to go along with us--he did a lot of packing of the stroller and he actually went to get us food and come back because we literally could not navigate the crowds with a little kid and pregnant belly.

When we went to see the seals and dolphins perform we arrived about 20 minutes early and that's the only way we were able to get a seat. Also, we were leaving the performance early just to get away from the crowds and not get trampled and as I got up from my seat (climbing up the really steep and scary stairs) a Mainland lady literally started pushing me backwards down the steps (7 months pregnant and all!) because she was so panicked to try to grab the seat I had just vacated.

I nearly was knocked backwards (which would have been awful because once you start falling on those stairs it's a LONG way down) and my husband had to fight her off of me so that I could just walk up the exit!

Another note--there were Mainland women who would get uncomfortable close to my son's stroller, squat down to take a peek inside when he was sleeping. Then they would just stand there and stare at my husband and I trying to figure out, I guess, if my son looked more like me or my husband (he is Chinese, I'm not). It was a bit weird--and that sort of in-your-face action happened all day long. Just a hugely different culture, I tell ya'!

It's a good thing we had no ambitions to really go on many adult rides that day--the kids rides didn't have really long lines but my husband got on one adult ride the whole day. We were more interested in seeing the pandas etc.

Yeah, Ocean Park (and probably even moreso Disney) are not very nice destinations over any major holidays. Go on a weekday that isn't close to a holiday and it's much better.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carey is offline Registered User

Chinese New Year it's boring. My husabnd has to work most of the days during this time and when he gets a week off later we were thinking to stay in hongkong for a few nights in the middle of Feburary ( which is still during Chinese New Year, before the lantern fest, we live in the Mainland). Thinking to go the the Peak, Standley, and Ocean park. Do you think the crowd will still be around then?

If they are, we perhaps will change our plan. It won't be safe to navigate through the crowd when I am pregnant and we have a 20 month old too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast