Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What to do with frozen embryos?

Gracey is offline Registered User

What to do with frozen embryos?

The hospital where I did IVF said I had to renew my storage for 2 frozen embryos, and that it would cost HK $1,000 a mo.
    I'm not even one trimester into a high-risk pregnancy. So a part of me thinks I should hold onto them. After all, it cost us tens of thousands of $, not to mention much physical pain, to get those embryos.
    But how long do you extend it? Just into your into your 2nd trimester? Till after you've given birth? Can they be used for future children?

In the far future, what do you do? It seems like a waste to destroy them. That said, I feel odd donating them to another couple since the child will be genetically mine and my DHs. I asked about giving them to stem cell research but my old doctor discouraged me, and a nurse told me "that's not done in Hong Kong." I'm sure there is, though. I'd love to give them to medicine once I don't need them.

Anyone else in this boat?

And happy new year! I wish all of you little bunny babies in 2011!

mela is offline Registered User

Keep them for number 2 - they can be stored up to 10 years without any harm. My baby came from a frozen embryo that i had let over from previous ivf - we still have 5 and keeping them in case we have another one. cheaper than doing a fresh cycle. If you don't want to have another one you can also ask the lab to defrost them.
    good luck with your pregnancy

Hi Mela -- 10 years! My Goodness! I guess it's not like defrosting those soy sauce chicken wings I still have in my freezer. :)
    In all seriousness, thanks for this. I had no idea. I agree -- I definitely do NOT want to go through the follicle stimulation part of IVF again if I can help it. So I will hold onto the little guys in case we want a baby in the future.
    Then, maybe much later, when we are sure we don't want more kids, I can find a way to donate to charity.

seoulgirl is offline Registered User

I find it odd they told you donating embryos to research is not dong in Hong Kong. When I filled out the paperwork at ProlIVFic before my IVF, one of the options was to donate embryos to research if we decide to stop the storage, which is what we chose.

iolana is offline Registered User

You should definitely keep them. I kept my first batch of 4 frosties for over 2 years before I used them. Unfortunately the FETs did not work and we had to do another fresh cycle which resulted in 4 more frosties. My second child is from that second batch of frosties. So I still have 2 more frosties which I am trying to decide what to do with. I am coming to the realisation that 2 children is enough for us, but am not quite resigned to letting them go, so I am still paying $1000 per month in storage!

Hi everyone, Thanks for all your suggestions. I will tell them to renew for now.

SeoulGirl -- The option to donate was on my form, too. I think it's standard. But my first doctor advised strongly against ticking it and his nurse told me there isn't that kind of research in HK anyway. That said, I've since switched doctors, and it's possible that what they said wasinaccurate.
    I later asked the nurse at the IVF Centre and she was also on the fence. I guess I don't want well-meaning people to be "donating" precious stem cells that could be used for research, and not having those stem cells actually get into the hands of scientists.
    As for me, I'm holding onto my two frozen embryos for now. But, if we decide we don't need them later, they will hopefully go to science.