Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pumping while on a business trip & traveling with breastmilk

ETJ
    ETJ is offline Registered User

Pumping while on a business trip & traveling with breastmilk

I have a work conference to attend in Mexico. The conference is 3 days but due to flight connections and time difference, the 3 day conference is turning into 6.5 day trip. I have worked very hard at breastfeeding. Baby is now 3.5mos. So, very concerned about maintaining milk supply when away from baby.

My questions:

1. 1st flight is 12hrs. Do I pump every 4hrs on the plane? Pump in seat or in the lavatory?

2. What do you use to keep b/milk cool on board plane? Read on a few threads about using cooler or asking stewardess to freeze in airplane refrigerator?

3. What do you use to keep b/milk frozen in check in luggage?

4. Sterilising pump parts while on the road? Is there a travel bottle steriliser or did you just boil water in hotel rm and sterilise parts in a plastic bag?

5. Keeping b/milk frozen during hotel stay. The hotel refrigerators don't usually have good freezers. Did you call room service and ask them to freeze your milk in hotel freezer?

Would greatly appreciate any advice and help!!

Thanks.
    ETJ

Portia is offline Registered User

1. When I did a similar length flight, I pumped immediately before getting on the plane and immediately once I got off the plane as I find it is easier to pump on the ground than in the air. When I was on the plane, I pumped once mid-flight. I did this on one flight in the loo when everyone was sleeping and once in my seat with a shawl around me when I was in business class.
    2, 3 & 5. I pumped and dumped, although it nearly broke my heart to do so. So much wasted! I just couldn't work out the logistics of transporting the milk back. But at least my supply was unaffected when got back. I am aware from transporting frozen baby food in a Freezer-to-Go bag with an ice pack that the food was all defrosted by the time we checked into our hotel (so say 16 hours door-to-door).
    4. When we travel, I ask for a microwave in the room and use plastic sterilising bags (available from B2B or Mothercare).
    Hope that helps!

taysty is offline Registered User

For pump parts i use those sterilising package i bought at mothercare to do it. It comes with a durable one time use plastic bags with a draw string, there's 7 individual sachets, with sterilising tablets like milton inside. However, it is quite expensive, i think it's about HKD100 or so? I bought it becoz i brought my baby back home for x'mas last year and i'm worried we dont have such a big pot to hold so much water. For these i just find somewhere to hang the bag will do. No need meansurement of water, just fill to the blue line. However, if you do buy it, you must remember to take a tongs to pick those parts out, it not will your hand will feel itchy, at least for me, as those water is like bleach and smell like bleach.

If you dont have too much things, maybe go for the cheaper way like milton tablets? Just use the sink in the hotel room?

Also like Portia i dump my breastmilk too. Hmm, that's becoz Cathay told us we cant bring liquid of any form thru customs. To my dismay, when i was in Singapore airport for flying back HK, they have a notice saying baby food or essential are exempted. :( I save some breastmilk as my flight is so much shorter, less than 4 hours. And i already have a low or tight supply. I nearly complain to Cathay.

In HK airport before and after check-in there's breastfeeding/diaper changing room. You can lock yourself inside those room to pump your milk. :) That's what i did.

ETJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    1. When I did a similar length flight, I pumped immediately before getting on the plane and immediately once I got off the plane as I find it is easier to pump on the ground than in the air. When I was on the plane, I pumped once mid-flight. I did this on one flight in the loo when everyone was sleeping and once in my seat with a shawl around me when I was in business class.
    2, 3 & 5. I pumped and dumped, although it nearly broke my heart to do so. So much wasted! I just couldn't work out the logistics of transporting the milk back. But at least my supply was unaffected when got back. I am aware from transporting frozen baby food in a Freezer-to-Go bag with an ice pack that the food was all defrosted by the time we checked into our hotel (so say 16 hours door-to-door).
    4. When we travel, I ask for a microwave in the room and use plastic sterilising bags (available from B2B or Mothercare).
    Hope that helps!
    Thanks Portia!
    How long were you away from the baby & how old was your baby? Did your baby "reject" your nipple since the baby was bottle fed when you were away? Regarding plastic sterilising - just put pumped parts in microwave and sterilise each time after use?

ETJ
    Quote Originally Posted by taysty View Post
    Also like Portia i dump my breastmilk too. Hmm, that's becoz Cathay told us we cant bring liquid of any form thru customs. To my dismay, when i was in Singapore airport for flying back HK, they have a notice saying baby food or essential are exempted. :( I save some breastmilk as my flight is so much shorter, less than 4 hours. And i already have a low or tight supply. I nearly complain to Cathay.

In HK airport before and after check-in there's breastfeeding/diaper changing room. You can lock yourself inside those room to pump your milk. :) That's what i did.
    Thanks Taysty. I will check with Cathay regarding bringing breastmilk in carry on luggage. Where is the breastfeeding/diaper changing room? Is it after immigration or right after check-in and before immigration?

After check-in luggage, before immigration, the breastfeeding room is on the most left corner of T1 departure hall, together with ladies/gents and prayer room if i'm not worng.That is at Pacific coffee side of departure hall.

After immigration, there should be one along the long corridor or travelator for those gates. Just follow the sign you should find one near your gate.

Portia is offline Registered User

I was away from my baby for 8 days when he was 4 months old. He had no problem going back to breastfeeding when I got back. When I sterilise, I put the bottle, pump parts and horns into the plastic bags with the amount of water as in the instructions. Just check the manual for your pump to make sure your pump parts can go into the microwave. Medela has steam sterilising bags and it takes around 3 minutes in the microwave. One good thing about pumping and dumping was that you didn't need to bother with sterilising and I just washed the pump parts in the sink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast