Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I've had two babies naturally - and by naturally, I mean induced with epidurals (some people only use the term "natural" to mean "with no drugs/intervention" - I don't mean it like that). Both experiences were bearable, pain-wise - and I recovered quickly. I was up and walking soon after, with my second, I was discharged just about 15-18 hours after she was born. The first time I had an episiotomy which was the hardest part of my recovery as it was quite painful - so the second time I opted not to have that done. I did have a second degree tear but it wasn't very painful at all, and it healed up very quickly. Even after just two weeks, it was just about back to normal.

I personally can NOT understand why people would choose to have an elective C-section. Even if you don't want the pain, you have the option of an epidural and can have the best of both worlds - a relatively painless delivery AND a fast recovery. And if you REALLY want to plan the date, you can even schedule an induction (although I wouldn't recommend that - it does make the early stages of labour more painful and has a higher chance of needing an emergency C section).

Just my 2c

charade is offline Registered User

One thing that women who had c-sections talk about is not being able to hold thier baby just after birth and someone above mentioned not feeling anything while the baby was out. I had a natural delivery and really, I felt nothing either, even when the baby was placed on my chest. I remember thinking - this is strange, I should be feeling something but all I felt was mild curiosity. I felt that rush of bonding when they brought the baby to me four hours later after I had had some sleep and he latched on to my breast.

I had an epistiomy and I also had pain rolling over, moving etc. It's been nearly three months, and I still have pain! I've heard women with c-sections recover faster.

I am also slightly amused when women say they felt regret having not experienced labour pains. Really, they are horrific! In my opinion, the whole experience of natural birth is the most violent and painful experience one would ever volunteer for.

HOWEVER, even though I sometimes say "if there's ever a second baby, I'll have a c-sec", I know I wouldn't. Not unless it was medically necessary. The natural way was how it was intended, and been perfected over years of evolution. So unless there is some danger to mother or baby, I think its the way to go. And as Nicole pointed out, there's always epidurals. Though even epidurals have there effects, and you should be aware of them. Halfway during labour I was screaming for an epirdural, which being a public hospital they didn't give me. In the end, I'm glad I managed without (the nurses were very motherly and kept up these delaying tactics) but next time around, I will plan it so that I have the option of it if it gets too bad. I was induced so don't know if that had something to do with the intensity of pain.

My advice would be - go natural, unless your doctor advices a c-section for medical reasons - and have an epidural on standby.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i've had 2 natural births and for my 3rd will have a natural too - to be honest, i've never quite experienced something so painful BUT luckily for us, there is epidural...really no shame in using it! i had my 1st one at matilda and the anesthesiologist there (dr Ooi? - he's in house) was great - you felt the urge to pushm but didn't feel so much pain. i had 2 top ups before i actually had the baby - no problem there!

if you're physically unable to have a natural birth, then there's nothing wrong with a c-section, but sometimes i wonder why doctors even allow one to have electie c-sections if it is not medically necessary. the recovery time (from what I've heard) is about 2mths for c-section but for natural it's within a week. i was up and about 4 hours after giving birth to take a shower (yes - against the will of my MIL!!! :) ) but, hey, I NEEDED my shower!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I had both of my girls at the public hospital too and I asked for an epidural AS SOON AS I got into the delivery ward. With my first, I had very little pain and probably could have managed NOT getting an epidural - I more got it because I felt like my labour would progress better if I was more rested and relaxed - and that WAS the case for me. With my second, I had to wait a little longer and was quite uncomfortable - particularly because I wasn't able to change position at ALL due to them wanting to closely monitor my baby and there was only ONE spot where they could get her heartbeat.

There will be people who have fast recoveries from C section and people who have slow recoveries from natural births - but in GENERAL, a natural birth will normally have an easier recovery than a C section.

taysty is offline Registered User

@ lesliefu

Is it Dr Richard Ooi? He did my epidural when i delivered last year. The discomfort and pain was minimum. He is very patient and make me feel comfortable with it.

@ charade

You're right with the epidural thing. I didnt feel ashame of taking the epidural becoz i had back pain for more than 12 hours and i kind of know i wont be able to push effectively let alone have to deal with more pain. Before they give me my 2nd dose of epidural, i felt pain in between and i'm so glad that i had epidural.

After my delivery, in less that 12 hours, i was "up and running" doing breastfeeding in the hospital. Yes, i've got some stiches, but i think i can deal with the pain more than those labour pain.

banane76 is offline Registered User

Being induced does increase the pain significantly. That's when I got an epidural as well.

charade is offline Registered User

I wish I had known how to go about insisting on the epidural in the public system. it's the one thing that would make me go private. OK and also the awful doctor who said to me "please, the pain isn't even that much" when i was in the throes of labour. Luckily I didn't see her after that and the midwives did the actual delivery and were awesome.

@lesliefu one thing about the public system is that you don't have a choice about c-sec. They will decide if it's medically necessary (and I think they're quite good about making that decision if needed) and I was completely confident that I would not be pushed into a c-sec otherwise.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I've posted a lot of things on this topic in the past two months. I am pregnant with my second child. My first child was born completely naturally without pain medications and I was in labor for 43 hours and also hemorrhaged afterward.

If I had it to do over again (the same birth), although because of experience I would have done some things differently, I would always choose a natural, unmedicated birth. I believe that is what I owe myself and my child.

I can tell you that I was fully conscious and aware during the birth of my son and that it was a profound and changing moment in my life. It was the most empowering event in my life so far and as my midwife told me afterward, "Now, you can do anything." I truly can do anything after that experience. There is a TON of information out there about the facts about what childbirth is. I encourage you not to give into the media hype (all the shows on TV like: A Baby Story, I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant, Deliver Me, One Born Every Minute as well as films like Knocked up etc.). We all know that "if it bleeds, it leads" (newspaper term) and every producer needs to get drama up there on the screen to get ratings. Hollywood is not reality.

Here is just a sampling of the things I've posted here on this site within the last 2-3 months (some older), including studies, statistics, documentaries, illustrated guides and videos. Do your own research and don't let fear stand in your way--fear is the number one enemy of birth--in order to embrace birth and have a good experience you have to not be crippled by fear--no matter how many horror stories you hear (and people sure like to tell them, right?)--the problem is you're not hearing the empowering, miracle stories that are out there (and there are plenty--you can find many samples below).

So, check out the resources below and be inspired--birth is a beautiful thing and it is not just about babies being born--mothers are also born when they give birth. Women are strong. You are strong and your body is capable of giving birth well--don't let anyone or anything convince you otherwise.

As far as the HK hospital system goes when it comes to birth--I can understand how you feel overwhelmed. I am not a huge fan of how things are done here in HK and with my first pregnancy I was so overwhelmed by everything that I chose to return to my home country to give birth.

This time, I'm older and wiser and I'm giving the HK system a go--but on my terms--which means I've had to plan very well this time. I am optimistic that anything is possible with the right preparation and resources. You can always PM me if you want more info.

Finally, CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!

Resources

If You're Going To Give Birth, Watch This (link to full online documentary for: The Business of Being Born)

Orgasmic Birth (20/20 video)
    Orgasmic Birth (article)
    Great Resource for Pregnant Ladies (videos by "Mother of Modern Midwifery" Ina May Gaskin)
    Let Your Birth Experience Be Inspired (wonderful compilation of real-life birth experiences--videos)
    Free Downloadable Healthy Birth Guide by Choices in Childbirth
    Benefits of Vaginal Birth for Mother and Baby
    Reducing Infant Mortality
    Unnecesarean and ICAN (great website resources)
    Birth Brain Injury: Etiology and Prevention
    7 Signs of a Bad Doctor (selecting a doctor)
    The Win-Win Birth Plan
    Nice Printable Guide for Labor Positions
    Pregnancy Blogs Worth Checking Out
    Outlaw Births
    Male Doctor Experiences Childbirth Pain

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast