Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anyone looking for a good helper?

Wilma is offline Registered User

Anyone looking for a good helper?

Hi there..
    I am posting this on behalf of my helper.

Our helper is a very good, honest person. Overtime she has been a great help around the house. We will be moving out of HK, hence need to let her go. I would like her to find a good family to be with. If you are interested, PM me in my inbox and I can put you in touch with her.

Thanks.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Hi wilma, I can't seem to PM from my phone but if you can PM me more details about her, we might be interested as we are looking for one. Thanks!

Cheers
    Posted via Mobile Device

Wilma is offline Registered User

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I placed an ad for my domestic helper. I was trying to help her get a job as we were moving out of HK. However, I wanted to warn you that my husband and I were completely caught off guard with what lay ahead for us. Wilma is mentally unstable and goes into fits of rage when things don't go her way.

We started seeing this once we had given her a verbal notice of termination. Our life has been hell after that. Wilma started becoming emotionally unstable with accusations leading to fits of rage, verbal abuse and threats. With the help of police and the agency we had her move out of our apartment.

I am writing to apologize for putting my faith in someone we knew only for one month and recommending her on geoexpat. I also don't want you to make the same mistake as we did when we initially interviewed and hired her. Her previous references in HK were negative which she played to her advantage by portraying herself as a victim.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by rani; 03-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.

chuckles is offline Registered User

yikes!! I am just in the process of looking for our first helper!!! any suggestions would be really appreciated..

penguinsix is offline Registered User

My advice on hiring a helper is to go with a recommendation from friends, colleagues or from their helpers. If you have a friend who has a good helper, have them ask their helper if they know anyone who might be looking. You can also ask for certain things, for example we wanted someone with experience with kids.

We got ours through our part-time cleaning lady. She recommended her friend who was leaving HK and she came over one day and played with our boys for a few hours. They got along amazingly (especially since our kids were kind of shy) and they still get along well a year later.

Other things to ask are kind of related to you. Do you have kids, can they cook a particular type of food. We also asked if there was flexibility on Sat v. Sunday off. Some are very religious and 'need' Sunday off, others are willing to swap days on occasion if need be. Just depends. For us it was important as we have rather crazy weekend schedules though generally we give Sunday instead of Saturday.