Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

recent experiences - prince of wales

lalligirl is offline Registered User

recent experiences - prince of wales

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has given birth at prince of wales recently (i.e. in the last couple of months).

I'm due in about 3 weeks, and I was speaking to Hulda at Annerley the other day - she said that they're being quite strict about not letting husbands/birth partners in until the second stage of labour (most likely due to the recent outbreaks of swine flu - trying to minimise traffic in & out of the hospital...). She said that if we're firm about it, we should be fine, but I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience.

Cheers

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Hi. I gave birth there at the end of November. I can't comment on their practice during labour but they were very strict with my husband with my cesarian experience. He wasn't allowed into the operating theatre until everything was prepared and ready - which is fair enough - but I was upset that he wasn't allowed to be with me and my new baby after the delivery until visiting hours. I gave birth at 12pm and he wasn't allowed to see me until 5:30pm. After much complaining they allowed him to see me when I was back on the ward but only for 15 minutes and then they made him leave.

thanks liquorice.

apparently a sign has gone up on the door in the last month or so notifying that fathers/partners cannot come in (until 2nd stage), so i was wondering if anyone had been there since that sign was put there - i'm just hoping that someone is not too busy with their newborn to share their experience!! could be pushing my luck a bit!

tsubasa is offline Registered User

Hi Lalliagirl. I'm due Aug. 1st to deliver there as well, and I'm so bothered by this too! I can't stand the idea that my husband can't be there with me as this is my first time and I'm just freaked out about the whole labor and delivery in general. Please let me know all about how it went with you when you get a moment! I haven't heard about any signs posted, but I do know that they've just built a new ward and what I was told (albeit through the grapevine...) is that if there are rooms available, they will allow the father to be with you, but if not, then maybe not? But since there are lots more rooms now... I was hoping there would be a better chance! I really hope he can go in with you and that the birth of your little one goes smoothly.

hi tsubasa,

bub is due any day now, so i'll make sure i let you know how it went!
    try to stay calm (if you can!) about labour & delivery - it helps a lot. I had my first baby at queen mary & had a really good experience. they do separate you from your husband there too, but only until 3 cm (i think) dilated. I stayed at home for as long as possible (i think when contractions are around 5 mins apart it's probably time to go). I was around 8cm when i got to the hospital & went straight into the delivery room - i was only separated from my husband for about 15 minutes while they 'set me up' & he filled out the admission paperwork. I plan to do the same again this time...hopefully it will all be fine for both of us.

Last edited by lalligirl; 03-22-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo

Good luck Lalligirl! Thanks for keeping me posted! I just read another post and got scared to death so I hope you can give me some reassurance!

hi tsubasa,
    sorry it's taken me so long to post!
    I had my baby at POW at the end of march. it mostly all went well - although it was a VERY fast delivery (from admission to birth was around half an hour!). I didn't exactly have the experience i was hoping for, but i think that was mostly due to the fact that they didn't have time to read my birth plan (e.g. i was strapped to the monitor the whole time, so I couldn't try different delivery positions...but because it was so fast, that didn't bother me too much. i probably would have protested more if i'd had time!).
    They kept my husband out of the delivery room for longer than i would have liked, but i'm not sure if it was just because it took him a while to fill out the admission forms, or if they were actively keeping him out. he got there in time, though, so it wasn't too much of a problem. I didn't see any signs on the door saying that husbands/partners weren't allowed in til a certain point, so maybe they have relaxed that policy.
    I think that if the nurses/midwives had time to read through my birth plan, they would have tried to help my labour/delivery proceed as i'd wished.
    Hope everything goes well for you!

Thanks Lalligirl and congratulations! I can't believe you did the entire thing in half an hour! Wow! How did you manage that?? Was this your first baby? Also, when did you decide to go to the hospital? (I've been pondering...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast