Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Rejected by KJS: what to do now

rs2000 is offline Registered User

Rejected by KJS: what to do now

Hi All,

We live in Tung Chung and my daughter has been rejected by KJS.

We did not apply to any other school apart from KJS and Lantau International School. I was really hoping to get her admitted in KJS and am very disappointed now.

She speaks fluent english and I have read on the forums here that ESF does require more than fluent english.
    I am wondering what to do now. She currently goes to Sunisland in TC.
    Has anyone experiend this in the past? what is my best course of action? I have already replied them and asked them to keep us on the waitlist. do you know if ESF considers kids for a re-interview? Shall we goto the admissions office to discuss with the staff about the possibulity of getting her interviewed her? we have bought an apartment here in TC and really want to stay here. LIS has said she is on waitlist and might be interviewed later. I really want her to study in an esf school.
    I will appreciate all your inputs here.

Thanks a lot!

Portia is offline Registered User

Very sorry to hear that. It's not quite clear to me from your post, but was your daughter actually rejected after interview or was she not offered an interview?

rani is offline Administrator

Did she fail the interview? Can you perhaps find out why?

Another member's son also didn't pass the interview a few years ago. He was also Category 1. He repeated K2 in another kindergarten and he re-applied for ESF the following year and was accepted.

rs2000 is offline Registered User

Hi

she was rejected after an interview. I am very upset.
    As I said, we live in Tung Chung and there arent many options available for schooling from here.
    Lantau International School also told me that she is 25 on the waiting list and i think which basically means that there is'nt much chance in LIS too.

I mailed KJS and they got back to me saying that they could no even accomodate the students whos siblings are in KJS and hence those will be the first priority in the waiting list.

has anyone in past experienced this wherein the kid was rejected after an interview? is there any chance to reapply for P2 and get admission (realistically). I really want my mid to goto an esf school.
    please suggest something

the options i can think of are

1. continue going to sunisland in TC. Do a K3 and reapply to ESF for a P2 next year hoping to get in. The risk is that if she does not get ESF, i will be in trouble if I want to still send her to international schools (they are very expensive and we woul have to sell our dear apartment etc etc). or otherwisee will have to send her to DSS school like st. margaret, delia etc . i havent read great reviews about these schools. For thos option, i am also thinking to let extend her school to whole day session in sun island -1 english class and 1 cantonese.

2. Get her into Sunshine house or Discovery Mind Kindergarten in TC for a K3. reapply to esf next year for P2. The risk and future plan is same as option#1 but i wont be extending her for a full day in this case.

3. Get her into Delia kindergarten in Mei Foo now. they sau their admission is open. We can try and get her admittd there. Then reapply to ESF next year. The safety in this case is that she will have the primary school place in Delia if she does not get into ESF. Now i have heard mixed reviews about this school. Can anyone help me understand how is the school. the negative thign is that its not in TC and she will have to travel out for a kindergarten which might not be very good.

Please give your comments on the above options and which one shall I select.
    My schooling budgets is roughly 5-6k Hk$ per month & most international schools are much more expensive and also not accessible from TC. Please give some other suggestions too.

thanks again!

Portia is offline Registered User

I think before you start exploring the options you need to understand why your daughter was rejected by KJS. There should be a reason in the rejection letter. Or if there isn't, you should call up/write and find out the reason.

I have heard of fluent English speakers being rejected after interview, but my understanding is that this was because some (potential) learning difficulty was identified at the interview, eg potential ADHD, or the child had special needs that could not be accommodated, etc. My understanding was also that if your child was offered an interview, but is not ready to start school (eg behind in fine motor skills, immature), then they are usually just deferred for a year. You need to get to the bottom of this and find out exactly why your child was rejected because if there is some issue, it could also affect your child's chances at other schools.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Whether or not you can reapply for Y2 depends on the reasons for rejection. I don't think special or individual needs are a reason for rejection perse, especially not at ESF. They mainly look at social skills and receptive / expressive language. Ask them about options for P2, your chances. The thing with ESF this year is that there are too many applying, so more choice for them. Whatever you do I would find an age appropriate class / school for her with options to change to other primary programs if wanted and when spaces come up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

rani is offline Administrator

If you put your daughter in K3 and reapply next year for ESF, you may have to apply for P1 again and not P2.

In P1 the kids learn how to read and write, and if she doesn't learn that in K3 she will fail the P2 interview.

carang is offline Registered User

why don't you check to see if there is a gov't school that is designated for non-chinese speaking students (if, of course, your family is non-chinese speaking). we found a school in sai kung that has this designation and our son was accepted to start P1 in september. i am very happy with the school (so far) and it is free! there may be something in tung chung worth considering.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast